want to put larger cloned bootable hard drive in

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by catlady13, Jan 11, 2009.

1. catlady13 macrumors newbie

Hi, I am very new to macs though I've built and fixed a lot of pcs. I bought a mac mini that I liked so well that I then purchased a macbook. I put a larger hard drive in my macbook and now would like to clone my mac mini to the hard drive I took out of my macbook because it is larger than the one in my macmini. Could someone please tell me if there is a good program to clone my macmini hard drive to the other hard drive ( which I shall put into an external firewire enclosure) making it bootable. Also if I do this will I be able to install it then to my mac mini with no problems?
    Thank you all in advance for any advice for this mac newbie.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Sure. Carbon Copy Cloner will get the job done nicely. Assuming both Mac Mini and MacBook are Intels, you should have no trouble at all.

You don't even need to physically take the drive out and use an external enclosure. FireWire target disk mode will do what you're after.

3. catlady13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi again, the mac mini does not appear to be intel. It says g4 in the info. I have to put one of the drives into an enclosure because you can't hook up a second drive internally on a mac mini.
    Therefore I will have to clone what I have on the mac mini to the larger hard drive ( which I will put into the firewire enclosure) and then swap them. The larger hard drive ( after cloning) will be going into the mac mini and the smaller drive can become an extra.
    I am not sure why it is important that both be intels unless you figure I could have then just put the larger hard drive that came out of the macbook directly in the mac mini. I didn't want to do that anyway as I want to preserve all the settings etc that I have now on the mac mini which is why I want to clone it rather than doing a clean install. I find most things easy on the mac compared to pc except for the email program. I had one nasty time trying to set up my two email accounts properly and still haven't figured out how to sort email into folders.
    thanks again,
    Linda

4. wizzracer macrumors 6502

wizzracer

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Oh, I see. I misread what you were looking for. Yeah, Carbon Copy Cloner will be just dandy and will be a lot faster than reinstalling from scratch.

6. catlady13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much to all of you. I will be doing it in the next couple of days. i already checked to make sure my mac mini could see the hard drive in the "enclosure" though technically it isn't an enclosure . It is a hot swappable device one can use for sata drives with esata , firewire and usb connections. I just love this thing. You can pull drives from it like you would normally do with a usb flash drive.
    If I run into any problems I will be running back here for help.
    Thanks again.
    PS carbon copy cloner WILL make it bootable will it not?

7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yeah, those are awesome. I need to get me one of those. An IDE version would be ideal, though. I have so many old IDE drives sitting around here...

Yessir.

8. catlady13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I wish they made an ide version but then again the swapping might be a problem. I think one would have to shut down the computer to remove the drive. I can see a lot of people forgetting to do that and screwing things up royally. I read all the reviews and got the Nexstar and it works like a charm.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Well, you're not hot swapping per se. Eject the drive, turn off the enclosure, replace the drive, turn the enclosure back on. The computer never has to turn off, but there's no need to hot swap the drive itself.