want to record audio to mac using boom mic

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thatfilmerkid, Nov 2, 2008.

1. thatfilmerkid macrumors newbie

is there a system out there that will allow you to record sound to a mac, the camera that i have doesnt pick up audio, or dialogue for that matter, and i want to record the sound separate from the video, and just sync it later in editing, anyone know of any products available to do this

2. Scooby_Doo macrumors member

Scooby_Doo

Depends on what you're trying to do

Filmerkid, depends on what you are trying to do here.

Do you need to record sound on location with the video or is it being done in post-production (after the taping)?

If you are recording on set you'll either need a mobile Mac setup or a digital audio recorder of some kind that will accept the input you are putting in.

Since you mentioned using a shotgun microphone I'm assuming that you are using a higher quality piece with an XLR input connector. To plug this into your Mac you'll most likely need a XLR to 1/8" minijack (or phoneplug) converter.

Once the mic is plugged into your Mac you can use a number of tools to record the audio. Either the voice over utility in Final Cut Express/Studio or I think there is something similar in iMovie.

If you want more control over the audio use a dedicated audio recorder such as ProTools or Logic. You can also use an open source alternative such as Audacity.

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

Bad idea to go from Balanced XLR to unbal minijack (can be bal if mono). I'm in television and whenever we go from XLR to RCA (unbal) we use an Aphex 124a to do the job.

You're gonna get a ton of noise if you try and record it into your mac. Try looking into a Fostex Flash recorder.

4. thatfilmerkid thread starter macrumors newbie