Want to replace lower case on MacBook Pro myself

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by eugeneoc, Feb 28, 2008.

1. eugeneoc macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a 3 month old Mac Book Pro bought in the USA which I have dented badly over the SuperDrive area. I want to replace the lower case myself (seen the quote for the work by a reseller in Ireland, very expensive)

I've seen this

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Core-2-Duo-Upper-Case/IF185-041

I have the serial number A1226 on the bottom of the lower case, would this one do the job if I bought the screwdrivers it also sells and follow the instructions to the letter.

Thanks for any advice

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

I'm confused - you say you need a lower case, but the part you reference on ifixit.com is the top case.

The top case is pretty easy to replace - the bottom case is a major undertaking, as you pretty much have to remove everything.

Can you clarify what you're looking for, or exactly where the damage is on your machine?

MacDann

3. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Is it really bad? Pictures?

If it isnt i would just buy a case for it and it would cover it up.

But thats just me.

4. eugeneoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry I meant the lower case of course. Ok so its a lot of work, I understand that.

Here is a picture, I damaged the SuperDrive port.

Attached Files:

5. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Ouch.

Good luck - you might be able to find a lower case with ifixit.com or one of the other parts places, but you're looking at a major undertaking to replace it.

MacDann

6. eugeneoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I know. :( Could you sent a brief list of places to check if at all possible. Going to get the part delivered to New York, i'll bring it back to Ireland.

7. crazyskillz07 macrumors member

8. eugeneoc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you friend whoever you are out there, I've just used a flat head screwdriver to bent the port back open and rescue a trapped CD. Works ok now! Can live with the dent in the upper case f**k it! :p

Real macgyver job, what the hell!

And to think a Irish reseller quoted nearly 1000 euros to replace the SuperDrive and lower case. What a AppleScam!

9. toxthexnines macrumors regular

toxthexnines

Ouch.

Since you got it working, i would recommend a speck case for it. You wouldn't notice it as easily. :D

10. opsldo macrumors newbie

11. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

If you remove the top cover you can probably bend the case back close to normal.