Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
I inadvertently backed up my iPod Touch 3G which ended up being a blessing because it actually died due to water damage. When I get my new iP4 I want to restore from that iPod Touch backup because it has many apps I use for studying including the settings which I definitely need. Is there a way to restore just the apps? How would/could I restore at least the one app with data that I really need?

og1

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2008
this is a major downfall of the whole "backup" process, especially when apple tells you you should setup your ip4 as new, not restore from backup. it literally took me HOURS to get all my apps and settings dialed back the way they were. not to mention I lost all the actual app data.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
It's either all or nothing.

this is a major downfall of the whole "backup" process, especially when apple tells you you should setup your ip4 as new, not restore from backup. it literally took me HOURS to get all my apps and settings dialed back the way they were. not to mention I lost all the actual app data.

ok so I settle for all and do a complete restore from iPod Touch to iP4 (just so I can get my data back for my one app).

Will a backup from the iPod Touch screw up the iP4? Would I lose 4.0.1? How and what can I do? If the restore forces the iP4 to go backwards couldn't I simply do a reset settings and update when my iP4 is connected?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
It shouldn't screw up your iPhone in any way. My 3Gs got restored from a iPod Touch 1G running 1.1.2. It's still running that same backup and nothing has ever happened to it.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
It shouldn't screw up your iPhone in any way. My 3Gs got restored from a iPod Touch 1G running 1.1.2. It's still running that same backup and nothing has ever happened to it.

Interesting. So it really only restores your apps (including app data/settings) and personal data. Cool. One last thing. We have two iPod Touch backups on our one Macbook. Both of us will be restoring our new iP4s to those two previous separate iPod Touch backups. Will the two separate backup options automatically present themselves when we connect our two new iP4s? We could manually select
Code:
~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
or do it the normal way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.