Want to restore iPhone... any gotchas for Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Smurphy Gherkin, May 24, 2015.

1. Smurphy Gherkin macrumors regular

Need to restore my iPhone from iTunes...

Never done this since getting the Watch... anything I should do differently?

2. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Nope, but it will automatically reset your watch when the phone resets. Kinda dumb IMO especially since you will probably just restore your phone from a backup. When the phone is done restoring (and make sure it is done syncing ALL your apps) then just set up the Watch like you did when you got it. The Apple Watch app will instead ask you if you would like to restore your Watch from a backup. Doing so will bring your watch data back, like your app layout. Of course, it will only ask you to restore from backup if you restored your phone from backup.

I had to do this myself a few weeks back and I had to go through all these steps. It doesn't take as long as it sounds IMO.

3. Smurphy Gherkin thread starter macrumors regular

oh geez, does this mean I am going to lose my workout data?

I don't want to unpair to back that up, as I hear it is fraught with peril at this stage...

EDIT: Nope, should be good:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT204518

4. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

As long as it is already synced to your phone, you shouldn't, no. However, if you did the 'calibration' for the Health app (that is, go for a 20 minute walk) then yes you will loose the calibration and will have to do it again.

I also wonder if doing a wipe on the Apple Watch would fix that erratic heart rate bug in 1.0.1.

5. My Name is URL macrumors 6502

I had to have my iPhone replaced at the Genius Bar the other day, and I was told to unpair the watch then backup to iCloud then your golden. Worked fine for me.

6. Smurphy Gherkin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, iPhone restore worked a charm. Watch never seemed to notice.

Phew.

7. rhsmd1 macrumors member

you will need to redo your apple pay on the phone and watch...PITA!

8. Smurphy Gherkin thread starter macrumors regular

Not in Australia yet, so ... painless!

9. papbot macrumors 6502

I've had to do it and I agree. One bank can send a security code by text or email to enter, so fairly quick and painless. But the other one requires a phone call, wait on hold for who knows how long, be asked all kinds of security questions, info about last deposits into your account. Turned into a 20 minute ordeal the last time I had to do it, including the time it took me to log into my account to find that deposit info.

One thing I believe I read was that certain calibration and workout data is not included in iCloud backups unless you have encrypted backups enabled. So if you restore the phone from iCloud rather than iTunes you could lose that data. I'm assuming if the backup/restore is through iTunes you shouldn't lose anything.

10. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

My bank...the credit card is added via a text system and the debit card requires a phone call. Same bank. I guess its just a difference in level of liability between the types of cards.

11. Smurphy Gherkin thread starter macrumors regular

Just a follow up, I had to end up doing a Reset All Settings on my iPhone to fix a rotation bug.

This broke the connection to the Watch, which said it was connected, but was not in any meaningful way. Could not run apps, do anything etc.

Did an unpair then restore from backup, and things went perfectly. Phew.