want to restore to new harddrive; complicated

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by yihwan, Jan 22, 2010.

1. yihwan macrumors newbie

So here's the situation. I have a 13" white macbook currently outfitted with a 120 GB harddrive. i have an external drive that's backed up with time machine. i have a new 250 GB internal harddrive. i also have the original install cds that came with the computer.

i want to restore all my old data onto the new harddrive. the problem is, my cd driver is completely broken. i rarely use it so that's not a problem (for now), btu i can't put in the install cd's when i want to. also, a few months ago i tried to reboot even with the cds working, but for some reason "time machine backups" was not showing up as an option to boot from.

so i'm confused. i know there's a way to put my cd data onto my backup harddrive; do i have to use someone else's laptop? this hsouldn't be a problem.

can someone just direct me to a site with step by step directions for someone like me (who has a broken cd drive) to get my 250 gb internal harddrive working? i get how to install a harddrive. the restoring part is difficult.

thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your system onto the new hard drive. If you don't have an external interface for the new drive, you can also clone onto the Time Machine drive, install the new hard drive, then boot up to the restored copy of your system on the Time Machine drive by holding option on startup and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone back from there.