Want to restore without upgrading to 3.1

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ceek, Nov 6, 2009.

1. ceek macrumors member

ceek

My camera is doing what it usually does every month or two (with both 1G and 3G phones): either never opens the shutter, and/or doesn't display pics in the gallery (but still uploads them to iPhoto just fine). Normally, I just restore the phone, and *presto!* no problem. But now I don't want to "upgrade to the latest version 3.1 automatically." I like 3.0, thank you very much.

I read some articles from '07 and '08 saying if you click restore and hold "Option," it gives you the choice to chose which version of firmware you want to restore to. Is this still accurate?

Thanks in advance gurus!

ceek

2. nickels macrumors member

3. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Thanks so much for your fast response. I finally tried the restore (after downloading the firmware from the link provided, however, I got a weird message that said:

"The iPhone could not restored. This device isn't eligable for the requested build."

Any idea what this means, or how I can bypass it? (There was a previous screen while the firmware was being extracted, that said, "Checking with apple..." Guessing they have some sort of lock on my phone?)

Thanks!

ceek

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

That's because the info you were given was wrong. You'll have to upgrade to 3.1.2 and then downgrade using the info in this link:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=785524

5. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Not true. Just hit shift+restore (I think, not at my own computer) and then go on with the restore. No upgrading is necessary if you have the original 3.0 firmware.

6. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Thanks for the shift+restore tip. I'll try it. The reason I don't want to upgrade to 3.1, and then back to 3.0, is because I like the simple benm tethering hack with 3.0, and I heard upgrading it shuts it off, even if you try to revert to old firmware.

ceek

7. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

But are you using a PC? Because I heard that's the Windows version of "option+restore" for us Apple users.

8. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

Whatever you do DON'T upgrade to 3.1 and then try to downgrade afterwards. Part of the process to upgrade the system software beyond 3.0.1 also upgrades the baseband (the modem software). If you do this, then you will find it very difficult to go back again. (It is possible for some phones, but a real pain!)
    Once the baseband software is upgraded, the Apple servers won't then let you complete the restore using the older 3.01 files.

Downloading the older firmware (.ipsw file) and then holding the option button when telling it to restore allows you to choose your new software file and restore without upgrading the baseband. The Apple servers will then be happy to authenticate your install as normal.

Try this site for the file you need: http://www.hackint0sh.org/f127/22056.htm

Good Luck.

9. ozzyman500 macrumors 65816

Yes, I am using a PC. Whatever you do, don't upgrade to 3.1.x and then downgrade again, that's silly. Just find the firmware and upgrade it the "shift+restore" way on a Mac or whatever.

10. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Thanks. But that's just it. I option+restored to 3.0.1 (from 3.0.1), but got the message I listed above: "Your iPhone is not eligible for the requested build."

Any help on that?

11. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

The only thing I can think of is that you try and download the software again from a different site in case the .ispw file you've got is the wrong one.

12. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This is why I said what I did above. I thought with iTunes 9 that everything was signed from here on and you couldn't just pick an older version like we had done before. Maybe I'm confused though. My other recommendation was to try to get iTunes 8 back on, but that's a big PITA to do. Anyway, he's getting the error message I thought he would get, so what do I know.

Edit: Go to that link I gave you, OP, and you'll find all the .ipsw's.

13. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Although I'm not sure how to do everything he's listed, I found a very interesting article here. Seems this is a much larger issue than I thought.

http://www.saurik.com/id/12

Thanks for being so willing to help.

ceek

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, you can get the .ipsw's from that link I gave you and see if I'm wrong (it's under the more info link on the right side of the screen under the Koi's name). If I'm right you can go thru the process in that link and then get tethering with the Stealth .ipcc. I'll provide a link.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8575476&postcount=5

15. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Thanks iphone.aggie; I'm on the road at the moment, but I'll check out your links when I get grounded. Appreciate your help.

ceek

16. jw12345678 macrumors member

jw12345678

My understanding was that the problem of using older versions of the software only arose if you mistakenly upgraded beyond 3.0.1. In my case, I did that and upgraded to 3.1, and subsequently found the apple servers refusing to sign my installation when I tried to go back. The error we got then though was different to the one described here. (We got an error 1015.) This was related to the Apple servers seeing a mismatch of the upgraded baseband version (which now was 5.11 after my mistaken update) and the attempts to downgrade to 3.0.1 which used baseband version 4.26.08.

Luckily, with my old phone, I was able to downgrade my baseband (long story already recounted), and once this was done was able to restore using the old 3.0.1 .ispw file without problems- even using Snow Leopard and itunes 9. The Apple servers checked my phone, saw the baseband version matched the 3.0.1 version I was installing and worked as normal.

I really do think the original poster needs to check that he has downloaded the correct build of the 3.0.1 .ispw file....

17. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Assuming I have downloaded a bogus copy of 3.0.1, would you have a good source/link for one? (Havn't yet checked out iphone.aggie's link).

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I just went ahead and opened the link for you and found the website:

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

19. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Dear jw12345678 and aggie,

I downloaded BOTH of the versions you listed (thank, by the way). However, I immediately got this error from iTunes when selecting the downloaded file:

"...could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible."

They are listed in Finder as:

"iPhone1,1_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw"
    and
    "iPhone1,2_3.0.1_7A400_Restore.ipsw"
    respectively.

Any ideas?

ch:

20. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Not always - Using pwnage you can choose not to upgrade your baseband.
    I am running 3.1.2 on baseband 04.26.08 (3GS)

To the OP, I WOULD upgrade if I was you. You can get native tethering back using the following instructions :

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/11...ther-on-an-iphone-3g-or-3gs-running-os-3-1-2/

21. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

But do I have to run the phone jailbroken? What does that do to all the Apps I have come to love? (Thanks for the tip by the way)

22. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Well, I told you what to do in that first post. Another poster said you could just use the .ipsw like you just did. I didn't think you could do it that way.

23. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    All of the apps and normal functionality continue to work even with the phone jaibroken. Don't worry.

24. ceek thread starter macrumors member

ceek

Those instructions were perfect. THANK YOU!

Aggie, with what you mentioned before, I didn't want to upgrade to 3.1 first because I had originally read that even with downgrading, you still can't re-enable tethering, so I was wary.

Either way, the phone is ROCKING it out now! Thanks to all those who helped contribute to this newbie's education. Appreciate you and Mac Rumors!