Want to return the iPhone 4 to AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jbdeen, Jun 24, 2010.

1. jbdeen macrumors newbie

I bought two of these from family plan. I cannot stand having to hold the phone "just so" in order to have signal. For those who haven't experienced this first hand it truly is unacceptable. Can I:

1) Return to AT&T for refund

2) Cancel the two year contract extension that this purchase required?

3) Reactivate my iPhone 3G?

Thanks for the help.

2. stohr macrumors member

I talked to my local Apple Store earlier today, and they said they will replace an iPhone 4 if you have problems with signal. I don't know how it will fix the problem, but they offer it

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I know you have 30 days to return w/ 10% restock fee. I don't know how that would affect your contract if you wanted to revert to the 3G. You might want to try the iP4 w/ a case bumper. That will stop the problem. You can get a cheap TPU or silicon case at BestBuy if you want to try it out.

I'm guessing they won't after tonight press release on the issue.

4. cherrygirlunmei macrumors member

The "new" early termination fee I heard is $325 according to this article:

AT&T's new early-termination fee for the iPhone: $325

Not sure if you're ready to pay all that. Otherwise, feel free to contact AT&T and let them know you are returning it and wish to reactivate your old iPhone. Sorry you didn't like the iP4 though.

You have 30 days to return the iPhone 4 according to their returns policy. Be prepared to pay for that steep ETF though. Good luck.

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

If you return within 30 days, you don't pay the ETF. The only charge for a return in the first month is a prorated cost for the service you used and the $20-30 restocking fee for the phone. The ETF is for breaking your contract outside of the return period.

6. jbdeen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. Do you think I'll have to pay the restocking fee for what I see as a major flaw with the phone??? It's not like I got it and just don't want it for an arbitraty reason. Maybe a discussion with a store manager???

7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

You're welcome. You'll probably have to pay the restocking fee because it's normal for the phone (it's true that all phones have weak spots around the antenna), but if you're calm and polite and demonstrate that the way you ordinarily handle the iPhone, it always interferes with the signal, they might allow it.

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

It is not a cup of tea. Hold it like a man and you will not have any problems.

9. baller1308 macrumors 6502a

10. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Considering the shortage of i4 phones I am curious if Apple will be replacing them, also I would guess AT&T would reverse everything since there are known bugs and if someone can not get a brand new phone replaced AT&T would have no choice but to allow a person to return a phone and re-do their old contract.

I have issues with my i4 but I may contact Apple and see if they would consider replacing it first, bc I plan on getting a bumper bc Apple store was sold out, however I have a loose Home Button, but understanding their situation as long as they are going to replace with another brand new i4 I would be happy. If I am told it will take weeks or days to replace then I would consider returning and going back to my 3GS until they get all the bugs and issues worked out.

I just hope for ppl with legitimate problems, Apple and AT&T will be considerate and work with ppl.

11. w7ox macrumors member

Why not just go with the flow and get some sort of case? I wouldn't have the phone without a case; it's too hard to get a good grip on and glass is too vulnerable if dropped.

My case (all of $20 from Amazon) solves all the signal problems (which are clearly there without it).

Apple iPhone 4 / iPhone 4G Empire New-skin Case Silicone Protector, Black

Phil

12. w7ox macrumors member

Yeah, and real men wear heavy workgloves -- another way to solve the reception problem :)

Phil