Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Hi all,

I am after a bit of help here. I bought an iPhone in the UK last week from Carphone Warehouse. It was a bit of an impulse buy, but wanted to try it out.

I went through the activation process in iTunes and have been using the phone for 7 days. However, I do not get a very good signal at home. I have to move the phone to certain places in the house to get voicemail. The other day it took several hours before I was notified that someone left a message. My 3 and partner's Orange phone work fine.

And to be honest, I don't think the phone is polished enough at the moment for me. I never ported my number over from my previous phone and still have that running.

Can I return my phone on the grounds that I don't get an adequate signal at home? I have checked the T&Cs and I can't return the phone within 14 days if I simply change my mind.

Has anyone else managed to return their phone successfully to CPW.

The phone is still in A1 condition, it has had a screen protector and case on since day 1, so they can't refuse on those grounds.

Any help and advise will be greatly appreciated.

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
I think you can return it for any reason, simply say you are not happy with the call quality on it. The Apple store I bought my iPhone from gave me the impression that refunds are available easily within the first 14 days.

CD3660

macrumors 603
Jun 6, 2007
Cheshire, United Kingdom.
It's a pity that you bought it from CPW because reports suggest that they may be the most difficult about returns (as opposed to exchanges).

However, in my view you are entitled to take it back within 14 days if it is not suitable.

Would you cahnge your mind if it were not for the signal quality issues? If so, you should be aware that there have been some instances of faulty handsets with signal issues, so it may be that a replacement handset would cure the problem.

samab

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2006
"Change of mind" means that you can return the phone without giving any reasons.

However, the change of mind period for iphones purchased from carphone is only 7 days. iPhones purchased from o2 or apple stores have a 14 day change of mind period. It's in the t&c.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.