Want to Rip DVD to play with Plex...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rooneyjohn, Jul 15, 2009.

1. rooneyjohn macrumors newbie

Ok, I have a feeling this question will sound dumb to many, but I have to ask. I want to rip my DVD's to my hard drive, without loss of quality. I have tried Mac the Ripper, but with movies such as Speed Racer that is protected, I invariably run into problems.

All I want to do is take my DVD's and put them onto a HD without any loss of quality, so I can pack away the DVD's and just use Plex to search through them and hit play.

Any help would be hot.
    Thanks
    John

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The question is not dumb but it has been asked numerous times before.

I suggest getting Handbreak (free) and using that. I take my DVDs, rip them, and put them onto a NAS drive where Plex grabs them via SMB. The quality is great for me but you may have other tastes.

My settings in Handbreak are as follows:
    Picture 3.jpg

Also, via the Plex forums that you also posted in ;) Handbreak settings for Plex.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

MacTheRipper is the best free option in order to maintain the same quality.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

^ In your opinion. ;)
    MTR has failed on more DVDs than Handbreak has for me. Perhaps a recent update has been released that would have changed this, but HB has been a bit more consistent for me.

5. rooneyjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Handbreak doesn't give me a Rip DVD ISO... and like I said, Mac the Ripper gives me problems. I don't mind paying for something that works like I want.

I want to basically take my HD and turn it into a DVD jukebox... Then tell a program (such as Plex) to switch between DVD's.

There has got to be a way... I mean, a DVD is just information... so I want to read that exact information off a HD instead.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I'll agree that HB is more consistent, and I too have had better luck with it reading some DVDs, but the OP stated he wants no loss is quality.

7. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.231 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

What version of MTR are you using? The public release of 2.66 is available, but if you look around you can find the 3.0 "beta" which is up to something like revision 16.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your thread here and on Plex forums fails to mention a DVD ISO. Real glad I waste my time to help only to find out you didn't state your question correctly.

Compliments of another member (robbieduncan) found via the search function.

Try that.

Very true. But he wants an ISO, is that possible using MTR?

9. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't think so, not directly. But all you'd have to do is make an image from the output of MTR.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ah I see. I guess I never bothered to go the ISO method. I'd like to preserve some space and I'm not so HDwise that I could tell the difference totally.

11. rooneyjohn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I just want to thank everyone for responding. Really, I think it's great that everyone is fighting in the same corner. (and I doubt enough people say thanks)
    So, Thanks again!!!