Want to sell 3gs iOS 4 what should i do?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by chartrapp, Jul 12, 2010.

1. chartrapp macrumors member

Hello,

I can't find anything with exactly what I am looking for. I upgraded to the Iphone 4 this past weekend. love it so far, but I want to sell my 3gs. I have already moved it to OS4. I noticed that phones that are unlocked go for more which makes sense, but I'm confused by all the jailbreak/unlock paths.

it appears that you if are on 3GS and on iOS4 (and old bootroom) you have to downgrade to 3.1.3 and then upgade to iOS4?

so i guess my question is this. I want to sell it unlocked but my 3gs is on iOS4, not jailbroken, has old sim inside. . .what are my options?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No options untill a new JB is released for 3GS models already on official 4.0
    You cant downgrade either unless you have your SHSH's saved for previous builts.

3. chartrapp thread starter macrumors member

saved it on Cydia

i did use blackra1n on 3.1.2 and saved the sh's in Cydia? but since upgraded from 3.1.3 and then to iOS4. Does that provide any more leverage?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You have to edit your hosts file to redirect to cydias server and then download an official 3.1.2 ipsw and try to restore to that thru itunes.
    Then use blackrain again to JB on 3.1.2 and then update to custom 4.0 ipsw created with pwnage tool.
    Its a long and many different step process.
    Browse thru this site for tutorials, donloads and info.
    http://www.iclarified.com/entries/index.php?caid=2&scid=11

5. gotlactose macrumors newbie

I registered for MacRumors just to comment on this. I'm looking for an iPhone 3GS and don't mind that it's not unlocked.

6. chartrapp thread starter macrumors member

if interested. . .

write me a message if you are interested. i tried sending one but it says you don't accept private messages.

7. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

If he updated to Apple official, won't he be unable to downgrade since he would've updated his baseband too?

8. chartrapp thread starter macrumors member

baseban 05.13.04

my baseband is 05.13.04

9. gotlactose macrumors newbie

I just joined, so I have to wait at least a day and make 5 posts to send PMs. Perhaps email?

gotlactose [at] gmail [dot] com

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, if he got shshs saved he can downgrade any time. And it has nothing to do with the baseband. Baseband only has to do with unlock hacks.

Why don't you try eBay or craigslist?

11. gotlactose macrumors newbie

Looking for a lower price, if it's not unlocked I can negotiate for lower since I'm using AT&T anyway.

12. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

^^ this man is a genius!!! do you work at an Apple store?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes I do:D

14. corriewf macrumors 6502a

15. chartrapp thread starter macrumors member

thanks

thanks for the tips. it was very helpful.

16. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I'm sorry, but I don't think thats correct. Each iOS version contains its own baseband version, which is not downgradable. So, by updating to official Apple software, you are also going to upgrade your baseband.

My GF updated her phone from jailbroken 3.1.2 to Apple official 3.1.3 when it came out. She was unable to downgrade to 3.1.3 because her baseband was updated along with 3.1.3, and you can not downgrade to a former iOS version after that, because it contains the baseband.

I even confirmed that this was the case with Saurik.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you have SHSH's saved for a 3GS you can downgrade your firmware at any time to previous iOS versions.
    Baseband only has to do with unlocking the phone. Nothing to do with jailbreaking the iphone.
    And yes each OS update usually does have an updated baseband version and once updated cannot be downgraded besides some very few instances like early iphone 3G models with bootloader version 5.8
    If you have SHSH's available for previous ipsw builts you can downgrade your firmware on your 3GS and then JB it again.
    Do a little more research and educate yourself on the topic before you try to correct me with false assumptions cause you seem to be confused about basebands, firmware downgrades and JB in general.
    Start here:
    http://www.saurik.com/id/12

18. corriewf macrumors 6502a

Ye not question thy again.

19. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

I'm educated on the topic.

Each iOS contains a different baseband. ITS INCLUDED IN THE SOFTWARE. Once you update to an Apple official software, you aren't going to be able to downgrade. Go ahead and ask Saurik yourself. Don't want to? It says so on the page that you linked to me. Why not, instead of telling me to "do my research" and dismissing me, read the very page you linked me to?

I understand the difference between basebands, downgrading, and jailbreaking. I can't downgrade below 3.1.2 because I updated to 3.1.2 official. This is despite the fact that I have SHSHs on file for 3.0 and 3.1. Why? Those iOS versions have a previous baseband version. When you try to downgrade, it fails because you can't downgrade the baseband which is included in the software.

Do you have a 3GS? Go ahead and upgrade to Apple official 4.0 and try to downgrade. I'm interested in your results.

[E] By the way, you think I don't understand the process, but I do. I get that as long as you haven't updated your baseband, you can downgrade if you have your SHSHs on file. But thats not good enough if you have updated the baseband. If you're saying I'm wrong on that one, then you're saying Saurik is wrong, as he is the one who told me so. This is in addition to the firsthand experience I have with it.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why do you insist? You are wrong, read up on the link I gave you some more.
    I do have a 3GS and I do have SHSH's saved for previous firmware thru Sauriks cydia server.
    That means I can downgrade my 3GS model from 4.0 to 3.0 or 3.1.2 at any time I want. Baseband has been updated but it will still let me downgrade to those builts.
    See this?

[​IMG]

21. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Every firmware version(of late) seems to have it's own exclusive baseband:

3.1.3 --> 5.13.xx
    3.1.2 --> 5.12.xx
    3.1 ----> 5.11.xx
    3.0.x --> 4.26.xx

If you have the hashes, you should be able to downgrade the firmware, as to how well the newer basebands work with the real old firmware, I have no idea as very few seem to restore lower than 3.1.2 as it was very stable.

22. tctony macrumors 6502a

tctony

Did you even read my reply? I have my SHSHs on file for all of those too. Despite that, attempting to downgrade before 3.1.2 FAILS because my baseband was updated.

See this? (And before somebody questions me, I used tinyumbrella to get 4.0 hashes.)

[​IMG]

23. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

It only fails because it stays in recovery mode. Use recboot to kick it out of recovery.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is many different ways to go around that also but I havent got the need to go any lower than 3.1.2 since thats all you need at the moment on an early bootrom 3GS to pwne it and then restore to custom 4.0 IPSW.
    What you first said is that is not possible to downgrade any 3GS model at all because your baseband has been officially updated.
    Read up a little more, and try google and many other iphone JB sites.
    Im done trying to educate you cause you seem to be ignorant to realize that you were misinformed on the topic.

Use a little google also, it helps:D
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ade+3GS+using+ssh&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

25. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

For some reason I found restoring to 3.1.3 succeeded more then 3.1.2.