Want to sell a Macbook with preinstalled software, best route?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mousouchop, Sep 9, 2009.

1. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Hello,

I am getting ready to sell my Macbook and I want to include preinstalled software to help out the value of my Macbook-- however, I need to install the software myself.

I am going to wipe the system clean with a fresh install of 10.5 or 10.6, haven't decided yet... After I have done that, will I need to make a user account in order to install the agreed upon softwares? I just feel that this kind of sucks as it forces me to create a user account on the fresh install to do so.

Is there any way around creating an account to install software?

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Why install the extra software? Wipe the disk and install Leopard and give them the extra software disks and let the buyer install it. The software EULAs usually require you to give the disks when you transfer the software. You were not planning to install expensive software on the machine, then sell it, then re-install the software on another machine were you?

3. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Well, I have iLife 09 and iWorks 09 that I got a family pack for as it was cheaper-- and I have a few installs left, thought I would include the software, but wanted to keep the discs for future computers. :/ Is this not permissible? :(

4. ZachsMacDaddy macrumors 6502

ZachsMacDaddy

Nope. That license only covers machines you own in your household. You can't install it and then sell the machine and keep your license for yourself.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Don't install any apps if you can't provide discs too. There are many sellers in eBay who sells Macs with preinstalled Adobe CS4, FCS, Aperture, iWork etc but they are all illegal because no discs or other proof of purchase are shown. Also you get more money if you sell hardware and software separately because buyer of the computer may not want the software so he isn't ready to pay much extra for them.

6. mousouchop thread starter macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Okay. I have updated my listing to not include any software, I will sell the software separately when I am ready to give up rights.

Although, last year I bought a family pack of Leopard and split it with 3 roomates (college student)-- asked a worker at the Apple store and they said that was okay. I suppose she could have just been mistaken. We only lived in the same "household" for a few months-- and then went our separate ways. haha.

Thanks for the advice.