Want to sell iMac (Mid 07)... how?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by brettlemagne, Mar 7, 2008.

1. brettlemagne macrumors newbie

Hello!

I have a nice, perfectly working 24" 2.4GHz (2 GB RAM) Aluminum iMac, which I want to sell in order to cover costs of a Macbook and a Time Capsule (probably the 500 GB).

1) How much should I be asking for the machine (with a wireless keyboard and mouse, AND a copy of Leopard)?

2) What would be the best way to get as much money as I can out of it without having any kind of reputation or feedback? I don't eBay, and I'm obviously new here.

3) Also, should I just go on and buy the new gear and transfer my account over (and hope I can cover it), or should I wait until I have a potential buyer before I spend the money?

I apologize if this is the wrong forum, but I searched and I couldn't find a better place to ask.
    Thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

If you have no source of reputation in online selling or buying, and you live in a populous locale, then probably you're best bet is something like a Craigslist local sale, assuming there is Craigslist in your country.

3. Pacer69 macrumors member

There are mac classifieds boards out there where you can sell and probably without fees, etc. Google for mac classifieds and see what turns up. As for pricing it, check eBay closed auctions for the same config and package and that should give you a good idea of what to ask. Check the mac classifieds as well to see where you should land. Probably somewhere between the Apple refurb price of your model and the refurb below it is my guess. Add a little extra for the kb/mouse.

Wait 'til you have the money in hand before buying your new machine. (Make sure you back up the old one first...buy an external drive if you don't want to back up to DVDs or CDs, they are pretty cheap these days.)

This advice applies to any purchase. Carrying debt is not a smart way to live your life, and it can become a slippery slope. Starts small, adds up, adds up, pretty soon it's out of control. Trust me on this. Also, what if you don't get as much for your iMac as you were planning? You are screwed. Be smart. Don't debt!

4. chrismac00 macrumors 6502a

1.) Start at a price that you would like. I would suggest starting at about $100 less than what you paid for it. Then you can lower the price from there if you would like.

2.) Try the Marketplace board in MacRumors Forums. But first you have to have at least 100 posts. If not, I would suggest craigslist.

3.)Wait until you get a potential buyer. You don't want to mess up and then be in debt or something like that because no one bought the iMac from you.

5. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

This site:

Mac2Sell

claims to offer accurate resale values on Macs according to your locale.

Personally, I buy and sell everything on Yahoo Auctions here in Japan (no Japan eBay yet) and when I want to know what the "going rate" is I just have a look at what they're selling for there. The online auctions are as accurate a barometer of resale value as you will find.

6. brettlemagne thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all your help!

I live in Lexington, KY, so I do have a Craigslist here. I'm still kinda afraid of getting a buyer that wants to scam me, but I'll do what I must.

You guys are so helpful!

7. steeler macrumors regular

To avoid scams, only accept cash and meet someone locally in a public place, don't do any shipping, etc.

8. hockeysc23 macrumors regular

I highly doubt you can get many buyers on forums etc. for 100 under retail price.