Want to sell pre-order iPhone 4S on ebay/need advice - sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bardgal, Oct 17, 2011.

1. bardgal macrumors newbie

I was one of the people who fell into AT&T's bad database pre-order hell.

I ordered 2 16gb iPhone 4Ss over the phone on 10/7 (upgrade), and was never able to see my order status online.

AT&T CSRs told me my order was "in process" but there was no status on the phones (just blank, not even back-ordered.)

Since the status wasn't "shipped" my local AT&T store was great and cancelled my pre-order, reversed my upgrade, re-upgraded me with two iPhones they had in stock. Happy me on 10/14.

An hour later I received my shipping email that my phones had shipped and I would receive on 10/15.

Now they have arrived, and I was considering selling them on ebay. However - I am guessing that our numbers were associated with the serial numbers on the boxes - not the actual SIM cards inside the phones. And if they were ever attached to those SIM cards, that info/connection would have been cancelled when the pre-order was cancelled, since our numbers have been activated on two DIFFERENT phones with DIFFERENT SIM cards.

Basically, I don't want to open the boxes and mess up the phones by trying to remove the SIM cards. AND I don't want to get screwed if my info is somehow still associated with those cards in some way.

Help?

2. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

I am curious about the same thing. I ordered on both Apple and AT&T and ended up getting a phone from each company. Paid the upgrade price for each and want to sell one now, but was wondering what will happen when the buyer goes to activate with the SIM that comes pre-installed.?!?!?

3. iphone4sATT macrumors newbie

same thing

I have an extra 4s also, order went through via apple and att. Want to sell and have questions.

I received a total of 3 phones, one on my line which I did activate. I upgraded from iPhone 4 to 4s. Two other 4s were ordered on my wife's line which is non-smart phone. I want to sell both and don't want to activate. I went into ATT and they said to just sell them and that I do not have to do anything.

What should I do when I sell? Do I need to open and remove SIM? Call ATT to remove SIM from account? Will buyer be able to activate on their account?

Also, will ATT force me to add the data plan on wife's line? I can give her my old 4 but will have to force her to take it.

4. rumorman69 macrumors regular

Good questions. I also have a few iPhone 4S's from at&t I want to sell, but I'm not sure if I should activate them or not. Any ideas?

5. bardgal thread starter macrumors newbie

What happens if I leave the SIM cards in the phones?

6. omegaphil6 macrumors 6502

So no one can help out here!?!?! I dont want to open the phone just to remove the SIM if i dont have to!

----------

This is identical to my situation of how i ended up with 3 phones!

7. bardgal thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke with AT&T - The phones from your cancelled pre-order, that shipped anyway, and you ended up with and paid for - have been cancelled from your account, and are no longer associated with it in any way (because other phones are now associated with your account.) Not the SIM, nor the IMEI number. Leave the boxes sealed, and do what you like with them. They are yours, and you've paid for them.

Give them as gifts.
    Sell them.
    Return them to the AT&T store.

:D

8. outie2k macrumors regular

What about for phones that aren't cancelled? I have one coming that I want to sell too.

9. bardgal thread starter macrumors newbie

If you want to sell the one you have coming, and use your old phone on your contract (that you've just renewed for two years with that iPhone upgrade), I'd suggest contacting AT&T to ask them how to get it cancelled off your account. Tell you you want to give it to a relative, you don't mind having the two year extension, and you understand you won't be eligible for another upgrade for however long it is - 20 months I think.

AT&T can disassociate it from your account.