Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

J-Low

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Hi all.

If I want to keep the wireless of my new ibook and also want to add external storage. What's the best way to do it?

Ideally I'd like to also wirelessly have usb powered 5.1 sound using my m-audio sonica.

any ideas?

USB hub? wireless router?

livingfortoday

macrumors 68030
Nov 17, 2004
The Msp
Well, you could set up a network drive on the wireless router for your external storage... but as far as wirelessly accessing a USB device like the sonica, I just don't think that's possible. It'll have to be plugged in to the iBook.

J-Low

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
So, I get a wireless router and plug it into the cable modem?
And then physically attach the drive to it. somehow.

any advice re. speed, set up, hardware.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Pretty much. A network drive will come with an ethernet cable which will fill one of the spare ethernet ports on your router. :)

You'll want 802.11G which is currently the fastest wireless standard a Mac can achieve although it's still no match for wired transfer speeds.

J-Low

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
Thanks for the advice.
Shopping list now has
Wireless router
Network drive.
and I won't bother with the airport express I was going to get, since the Sonica will just do that and has to be connected anyway.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
J-Low said:
Hi all.

If I want to keep the wireless of my new ibook and also want to add external storage. What's the best way to do it?

Ideally I'd like to also wirelessly have usb powered 5.1 sound using my m-audio sonica.

any ideas?

USB hub? wireless router?
Keyspan has something that might work with your Sonica. It's called the USB Server. You would connect the server to the router and theoretically, any computer on the network can access any USB device on the server. I've seen the documentation and it mentions that Printers, Scanners, Hard Drives, Thumbdrives are supported, but maybe this Sonica will work too.

Send Keyspan an e-mail asking if the Sonica is supported and you'll be set.

ft

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.