Want to setup a VPN with access to my home Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by linkandzelda, Nov 22, 2011.

1. linkandzelda macrumors regular

Hello,
    I've thought for a long time about setting up a VPN for access to my home Mac with my iPhone and iPad connected to the same VPN. If i'm right in thinking this will make it out that they are all on the same "LAN" right?

Either way i'm not sure where to go about setting up such a VPN on my home system. The reason I need to do this now is i'm on a network which blocks most outgoing and incoming ports, so it creates conflicts with software I use which points to a dynamic DNS name from dyndns.com.

I would appreciate some help or tips to get me started in doing this.

Thanks in advance,
    Kris

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

Depending on what you're wanting to do, you can try TeamViewer which is made for Mac, Linux, Windows, iOS, and Android (I think). Check out Team Viewer (it's free for personal use)

as for VPN, you may have to setup an actual VPN to connect with that your iPhone and iPad can Access.

Another option might be Logmein Ignition for iOS devices, and the Logmein Remote desktop, and Logmein Hamachi on the Mac which is more of a simple setup VPN solution. Check out [url="http://www.logmein.com]LogMeIn[/url] (also free for personal use)

3. linkandzelda thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see well I have been using Team Viewer for a while and it's good. Although what I wanted to do was access the media server which is on my Mac from within this restricted network. I wonder if logmein hamachi provides an actual VPN server I could use.

Thanks.

4. linkandzelda thread starter macrumors regular

Seems i can't access the Hamachi VPN from the iPhone.. Hmm.

5. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

One thing you could do is if your router at home supports dd-wrt you could flash that firmware to it and then vpn into your network with your iPhone, this does work as I use it.