Want to setup HW Raid but keep Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Leslie.Hon, Aug 21, 2009.

1. Leslie.Hon macrumors member

I'm planning to setup a RAID on My Mac Pro (2006 2.66 Quad Core)
    I know Bootcamp not support Hardware Raid Card
    Can I use the Hardware Raid Card for boot Mac OS X and storage Data, and use the onboard controller boot the Bootcamp Drive?

Here is my plan
    Thankyou :)

Attached Files:

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

I'm not sure I understand the question. But as I understand it bootcamp Windoze won't ever be able to see HFS/HFS+ formatted RAIDs no matter if they are controlled by the embedded controller or a separate 3rd party card. Now, if you add the drives under Windows and create/format it with something Winblows understands like NTFS or something, then either one will work - at least as I understand it. However then OS X won't be able to mount or use those either. I haven't tried to set up a RAID under Windows in Bootcamp yet though - so I could be wrong I guess.

I'm under the impression that the only way to share a RAID between the two OS's is with something like NAS or some controller that uses an independent format visible to both through a standard protocol. And i haven't a clue about booting either system off of such a system. I suspect it's possible though as either OS can be set up to boot over the network.

If you know how to write drivers I believe both problems are solvable. This is only a "lack of software" problem AFAIK.

3. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes you can. :D

As you'd be using a separate single drive for Windows, Boot Camp isn't actually needed (it's a partition tool that allows both OS X and Windows to share the same drive). You do have to use the BC disk for the Windows drivers though.

Also, for performance, make sure you don't stick the ARC-1680ix12 (8x lane card) in slots 3 or 4, which operates at 4x lanes. That really only leaves slot 2 for best operation. For stability reasons, DITCH the PORT Adapter. There's a particular cable that you should be using (SFF-8087 to SFF-8088). Make sure all cable lengths added DO NOT Exceed 2.0m for SATA drives, and use Enterprise drives with that card. Consumer models are just too unstable, so check the Hardware Compatibility List to avoid problems with drives.

4. Leslie.Hon thread starter macrumors member

In the Expansion Slot Utility, it said Slot 4 is x8 , Slot 2 and 3 is x1

Attached Files:

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

You can stuff it in slot 4 then, or change the configuration via the tool. :) It had slipped my mind on the '06 & '07 having the slot config utility. :eek: It's no longer available from the '08 on, so they're fixed. :(

Despite the slot location, the rest of it is valid, and doable. ;)

6. Leslie.Hon thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for reply

I plan another solution:

Buy a 4-5 bay eSATA Enclosure Box with RAID 5 for Data Storage (for example MacPower Hydra Super-S Combo- 4bay box support RAID 5) .

And buy a PCI-E eSATA Card for the enclosure box.

The advantage of the plan is I can use the RAID 5 on my MacBook too by using Firewire 400.

Have any PCE-E x4 or x8 eSATA Card support Boot Mac OS X and Windows on 2006 Mac Pro?

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

It would work, but won't be nearly as fast as the ARC-1680ix12. It's no where near the rebuild capabilities either, as it's really just FakeRAID.

You can find eSATA cards that will work in a Mac, but you'd have to pay close attention to boot support, as most will be BIOS, not EFI, and rarer, handles both.