Want to share one external display between MBA and Windows PC

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Compile, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Compile, Sep 3, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

Compile macrumors member

My desktop is a Windows based machine but I just ordered a MBA and I can't seem to find a switch for my monitor + keyboard. I also order an Apple mouse so I don't need a KVM for that just monitor(hdmi) and my keyboard (Ducky Shine II tenkeyless if anyone is wondering) which is usb.

I'm unsure of how to share my monitor with the desktop and MBA without disconnecting it every time.

The monitor is a LG 23EN43, connectors are 1x HDMI, 1x DVI, 1x VGA.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

Some monitors have multiple inputs (VGA, DVI, HDMI, MDP, DP), thus if you use your Windows based PC via DVI and your MBA via MDP, you can just use the monitor's OnScreen menu to switch inputs.

Maybe if you state your exact display model, in case you are unsure of its capabilities, we can help you more.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

EXAMPLE: Want to share one external display between MBA and Windows PC

3. simsaladimbamba

Just as a hint, you could have easily added another post, as one does not see, if a thread has been updated by an edit of an already existing post, thus a new post makes it appear to be updated via Forum Spy or Subscriptions/UserCP.

Now that you have listed the connections, if you use HDMI with your Windows PC, you use a MDP > DVI adapter with your MBA.
    If you use DVI with your Windows PC, you use an MDP > HDMI adapter/cable with your MBA.

According to the manual of that display, it has an INPUT/Exit button on the bottom row of buttons, thus you should be able to switch the inputs.

4. Mikael macrumors regular

I just made such a setup at home, sharing my monitor, mouse and keyboard between my Windows desktop machine and my MBA. Here's how I did it:

- Connect monitor via DVI to desktop computer
    - Connect monitor via mini-DP to MBA
    - Connect mouse and keyboard to an Aten US224 USB 2.0 switch
    - Connect each of the two USB cables on the US224 to the desktop PC and the MBA respectively

Aten US224: http://www.aten.com/products/USB-&-...ort-USB-Peripheral-Sharing-Device-~US224.html

The Aten US224 has four USB connectors to which you connect your peripherals. It also has two USB cables which you connect to the two computers. Finally, it has a small wired button that you can place on your desk. Pressing this button once switches the USB peripherals between the two computers. In other words, the US224 acts as a regular USB hub that can be switched between two computers.

So, using this setup, switching between my MBA and desktop machine requires a click on the US224 button and then switching the monitor input via the monitor's front buttons. It takes just a few seconds and I'm very happy with how it worked out!