Want to start clean but keep my text history

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by thedeejay, Nov 18, 2013.

1. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

Hey guys,

I've been wanting to do this for a while, but haven't been able to because I'm worried I'll lose my text history. I'm wondering if I can "Setup as new phone" but bring over all my text/iMessage history.

Any takers?

2. sflomenb macrumors 6502a

sflomenb

3. kwokaaron macrumors 6502a

kwokaaron

The closest way I can think of to do that is to uninstall all third party apps, delete anything else in your first-party apps, and reset all settings. Then, backup your phone, do a clean restore and restore your backup back onto your phone...

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I've never used it for this purpose but iBackupBot allows you to selectively export and restore (restore only messages).

Just reading the online user manual makes me think it can so I apologize if I'm wrong. You didn't have a better answer already so it's worth a look. :D

5. tateu macrumors 6502

It says it can "transfer SMS messages with attachments between iOS 6 and iOS 7." I tried it several times on my 5s back in the days of iOS 7.0.0 and it failed with error messages about a corrupt backup. I tried importing messages into a clean backup (like suggested in the above url) and I tried deleting some data from a full backup.

6. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Always been interested in this idea myself. I think the best thing to do is to use one of these 3rd party applications to export your text messages in as PDF or something and just set your phone up as new.

7. coolio93 macrumors 6502

Its funny Ive seen this question asked about 3 times now and every time I do a search, the answer comes up :rolleyes: lol

anyways, Yes it is possible. Look at my post on this thread :) specifically post # 28

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=18005287#post18005287

just a note that you will lose your attachments with this method, however all regular SMS's will be restored