Want to start with a fresh OS install, couple questions.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by angemon89, Mar 22, 2009.

1. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

So this spring break I'm thinking about reinstalling Leopard and starting fresh with a new user and everything. I don't want to restore from a backup. I feel as though leopard has become quite sluggish on me, and I think it's due to a really fragmented disk. Am I correct that if I just reinstall the OS, the disk will become unfragmented or should I also zero out the drive before I install the OS?

Also, the only thing I'm worried about losing is my MS office suite installation. I have the 2008 special media edition that only comes with 1 key. Obviously I have used that key to install it on my iMac, but will I be able to use it and install it again after I restart my computer?

2. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

have you tried sing maintenance programs like Onyx to help lear it all up a bit? Also Monolingual, it can strip out excess languages and code in your applications I saved 4+GB when I first ran it.

3. angemon89 thread starter macrumors 68000

angemon89

No I haven't. I would rather just reinstall because it wont take me that long to get back up an running. I also want to change my short username (for some reason it's my old email address and its been bugging me for over a year now :p).

The only thing I'm worried about is my office installation.