Want to stress GPU, help needed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Alucardx03, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Alucardx03 macrumors 6502a

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone knew of a GPU stress test program, comparable to CPU Test. I purchased a Macbook Pro in mid 2007, which is a model believed to contain the faulty video card. Before the warranty runs out, I'd like to do a stress test on the GPU and see how it holds up. I've never really tested it because I don't play games much, but I'm planning on doing a lot of rendering with FCS2 in the next few months. I don't want my card to die then, outside of the warranty.

Now, I don't want to intentionally ruin the card (I don't want to go through the hassle of sending my computer in, waiting, etc. Plus, it would be somewhat dishonest...), but I want to stress it to see how it holds up.

Any program recommendations?

2. gianpan macrumors member

you should also consider buying applecare for your macbook pro.

I had a sony vaio which graphics card overheated and they are asking 800€ (that's more than 1000$) to replace it....
    it was the nvidia faulty chips apparently but they won't admit it:p

3. bobriot macrumors member

The best GPU stress test I can think of is Armed Assault, in fact it will stress every part of your system. You can set up a huge battle and let it rage whilst you watch.

http://www.armaholic.com