Want to Switch from Mini > Air. Do now or wait?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Domino8282, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Domino8282 macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Now that I'm getting an iPhone 6S+, I'm wanting a larger iPad. My current is a iPad Mini 2 Retina.

I am seriously torn between selling my Mini and getting an iPad Air 2 right now, or waiting for the Air refresh. Anyone have any advice? Has anyone done this upgrade recently who can comment on whether they regret it or are happy going from Mini 2 to Air 2?

Thanks!

2. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Most definitely. Especially at this time. Spec is great for current and future. It is not future proof..but it will last for a long time.

3. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks - did you go from Mini 2 to Air 2?

Would love to hear a comment from someone who has about the comparison.

4. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

i had ipad 4 to air 2....and i bought this on late july..knowning that they will release some kind of iPad. I thought i will have buyer's remorse...but i didn't. I bought mini4...but eh..returned it. Air 2 is too powerful for what it is. 2gb of ram....no regret...regardless of iPad release. I'll say this: air 2 is NOT buyer's remorse item...

Bought mini 3..and returned it.

5. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Cool thank you for the input! I will most likely go for it... Worst case, when the Air 3 comes out, I can trade up.

6. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

I've had a variety of iPad's since they've come out (full size and mini). since i upgraded to the iPhone 6 plus last year....it was too close in size to the iPad mini so i wanted something bigger. Got a deal on an iPad Air 2 and really like it. When I look at my mini i'm surprised I even used it as long as i did. Seemed so small...had same thought when i'd look back at an iPhone 4 or 5. I wanted a big phone so a big tablet made sense. Now back when I had a iPhone 5, i wanted a small tablet and didn't really prefer a bigger iPad. But bc my phone got bigger, it made me want a bigger iPad. I still have a mini 2 as I have just been lazy and haven't sold it yet. Plus, the speed difference is huge. The iPad mini 2 feels so slow, outdated, and bulkier than iPad Air 2. Also, the iPad Air 2 is so light you can hold it one handed easily so the weight difference isn't very much IMO.

Hope this helps!

7. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I went from a Mini 1 to iPad Air two years ago, then just last week I got the iPad Air 2. My situation was not exactly the same but I must say I have no regrets. The Air 2 is fast, the 2 gigs of ram is great, and now with iOS 9 with content blocking enabled I feel I have a whole new experience on my ipad in general. I was waiting for an Air 3 and was disappointed when it failed to materialize this year but I'm thrilled with my new iPad. I think you will be too.

8. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

I actively use both the iPad Mini 2 and the Air 2. With iOS 8 the Air 2 was only slightly faster, but it was very noticeable that it didn't need to reload applications as often. With iOS 9 the Mini 2 feels a bit more sluggish compared to the Air 2, and the lack of features like Split View is very noticeable. If you want to be blown away by the performance difference then you'll probably need to wait until the iPad Air 3, but if you want to make use of iOS 9's new features then the iPad Air 2 will give you that and still make you feel like you're getting an upgrade in performance.

9. newellj macrumors 601

We really don't know when Apple will update the Air 2 - it could be next month, next spring, or a year from now. As the Ars review of the Mini 4 said today (or perhaps last night), there still isn't anything that really taxes the Air 2's A8X and GPU. If you want to move up to a big screen on a really nice iPad, the Air 2 is still a great choice.

10. scupking macrumors 6502a

I went from mini 2 to air 2. Did I notice any real world performance difference between them. Not really for what I use it for both seemed very fast. Spec wise the air 2 kills the mini 2. If you want a bigger screen go with the air 2. I liked the mini and I like the air 2.

11. scupking macrumors 6502a

12. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Air 2 is a stunning device and getting the 6s plus I think air is the better option. I had thought about getting the mini 4 but thought to myself why. the 6s plus will be more than enough screen for me and when i need the bigger screen i've got my air 2 wether i choose to take it out and about or just at home.

13. pika2000 macrumors 68030

I say depends on your usage scenario. If your usage scenario will the the same as the your current iPad mini, then the iPad Air 2 is more than sufficient.
    Personally, I am waiting/wishing for an Air 3 that has all the niceties of Apple Pencil support from the iPad Pro. The iPad Pro seems a bit too large for an iPad. An Air 2 size iPad with Pencil support would be pretty sweet for me.

14. Domino8282 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Domino8282

Thanks for all the replies. I am fairly sure I'm going to bite the bullet and get an Air 2, 128GB Space Gray with Wifi+Cellular.

Now if I can just get permission from the wife...