Want to switch to a Mac - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by J&JPolangin, Nov 10, 2008.

1. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I can get a previous gen MBP for $1492 new at the base exchange and apple care for it would run another $349 for a total of $1841

I was looking at a black MB from the refurb store for $1099 plus apple care for $249 for a total of $1348 but then I'll have to have it re-shipped as apple won't ship directly to a USN base which will probably add ~$90 for a total of $1438

This computer is for my wife (and to replace our 8 yo PC desktop).

I have an EEE PC 1000H for portability so that's not a major concern.

Price is of some concern as this is our first mac item (but she uses them at her work - she's a teacher).

I'd want to bump either machine up to 4 GB of Ram also.

Machine for Machine, what would you do?

2. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

First off, welcome to the world of mac!

With that said, don't even bother with the Black Macbook. You're basically paying a few hundred more for a black coat of paint.

Aside from that, what are you going to use it for? If it's just the basics (which I'm guessing if your other computers are 8 years old and a eee pc), I'd go for the previous gen white macbook, or the new 13 inch macbook. Unless you're planning on playing video games or doing other gpu intensive tasks, then either one of these should last you a good while -- it just comes down to a matter of preference. The new macbook is faster, newer, and is more rugged, but is more expensive and has a glossy screen (love it or hate it). The older macbook is a bit slower (probably won't be noticeable for you), and is $300 cheaper.

Personally, in your situation, I would go for the previous gen macbook.

If portability isn't a concern, almost definitely go for an iMac. Cheaper than the macbook and more powerful.

As for Applecare, get it off ebay or with a student discount. Much cheaper.

3. J&JPolangin thread starter macrumors 68030

...thanks for the info but I figured the $50 difference in the black macbook vs the white macbook was worth the larger hdd...

The machine would be used for audio editing/recording for her students class work and maybe some light video editing down the road.

I wish I had more time to play video games but my job keeps me plenty busy...

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

Avoid the BlackBook. I would go with the MBP or look at the new Aluminum MacBook at $1299.