Want to switch to ios for new iPhone, but i need to...

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Neon01, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Neon01 macrumors member

Im currently using android because it has a file system I can save files to. I really would love to be able to switch to iPhone 6, but i often torrent files, save them to my phone, attach them to emails (gmail), and grab them on my pc at work. Is there any way to be able to do this on ios?

I'm guessing its not possible, but would live to hear about work arounds. One i considered would be to remote into my pc at home and accomplish the same thing, but im not sure if this is possible outside of my network either.

Advice is appreciated.

2. dcharleyultra macrumors 6502

How do you currently torrent files?

Mailbox app allows you to attach files to emails.

3. Neon01 thread starter macrumors member

As i said, i use android currently. I use a torrent app, i think its called bittorrent or something. Works perfectly and lets me save files to the built in data storage.

Im aware i can attach files to email using a number of ios mail apps, but as far as i know this is limited to jpegs, right? The problem I've always had is that each ios app seems to have its own independent file system, so my mail app cant grab files stored in...let's say...goodreader. Has this changed?

4. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Why not use a cloud-based solution like Dropbox or iCloud Drive? No need to attach files to emails and you can access your files from any device.

5. wepiii macrumors 6502a

You are correct, but you can setup your email inside good reader and send the file from there.

6. Neon01 thread starter macrumors member

Great suggestion, but I've tried that and my work pc is behind a firewall that wont allow access to those services. I realize this is a unique situation, but I'm not trying to be difficult. Just trying to make it work.

I thought maybe if i could somehow torrent (something I'm not even sure is possible without jailbreaking?) a file into the new cloud drive and then attach the file into email... I was kind of hoping that the new cloud drive would basically act as an ad hoc file system for the entire ios.

7. Risco macrumors 68000

Risco

Try box app, it allows offline access to files.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/box-for-iphone-and-ipad/id290853822

8. TommyA6 macrumors 65816

Use Documents 5 for file management and cloud magic for you mail app. You can attach any file type from both apps.

9. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Why not load the file (video?) onto a thumb drive?

10. Neon01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks folks, ill look into both of these.

Can't use thumb drives where i work because of security concerns. Plus, the whole point id reall to be able to grab files on the fly without preparation. I could just as easily just attach files within gmail draft emails and access them at work, but this is to address the scenario in which I'm not prepared ahead of time.

11. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Well, the cool way would be this. And once youve got the parts in place, its like two taps from top to bottom:

Set the home PC torrent folder up with services (SMB etc)

Install nPlayer on the iphone

Download the file(s) from the PC to the iphone with nPlayers network tab

Install AirServer (.com) onto the work PC

Push the video over wifi to the work PC, from nPlayer via airplay

Nothing goes through a company server and no content gets left on the work PC

12. Lourayad macrumors newbie

Lourayad

You can not download torrents until the jailbreak is out.

13. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yes this seems to be the critical thing most people have glossed over so far. Apple doesn't allow torrent apps in the app store. There might be apps for controlling the remote downloading on another PC though, I'm not sure (there are apps like that for newsgroups)

14. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

No, but nPlayer can DL directly from FTP and why wouldn't you be running a seedbox already?

15. Neon01 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks again for the help.

I'm also limited in that I can't install anything on my work pc since I don't have user privileges. About all I can use is firefox portable installed from a burned CD with extensions downloaded. The files I usually need to access are epubs or pdfs (reference materials that I either have at home or need to download, mostly).

There are some really creative suggestions here. As pointed out, I think my main issue is going to be the torrents. I'm not familiar with seedboxes. Does this allow me to get around that?

I did a bit of searching on the app store last night on my ipad mini 2 and found a great VNC viewer (I believe it also works on iphone). That should do the trick until a jailbreak with proper torrent capabilities comes along.

16. r-m macrumors 6502a

I don't think a bit torrent client exists for iOS on the App Store.
    There's probably one on Cydia, but I haven't been jailbroke for a while.

A workaround may be a Raspberry Pi. These are fairly low power, so can be left running with less of a power cost than a PC, and can be set up to download torrents with a web interface for you to manage it.