Want to update rsync

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Corrado33, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Corrado33 macrumors member

So I'm going to be trying to keep a couple macs updated with rsync over ssh etc... and I'm trying to update rsync because I've heard that 3.0.# is much better than the 2.6.7 that's on my computer now, however I can't figure out how to get it installed. I tried follow this guide..

http://www.bombich.com/mactips/rsync.html

However, this was written back in january and with rsync 3.0.5, and it no longer works. I'm not exactly illiterate with it comes to terminal commands, but I am new to using the unix environment. I want to learn how to use the unix side of os X, so please don't tell me to use other things, I would like to learn this the hard way.

So if anybody could point me in the right direction it'd be awesome.

Thanks!

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

That guide is still usable. I helped another member here through it a week or two ago and successfully installed it for him and myself. Just update the 3.0.5 to 3.0.6 in the instructions. If you have any specific issues with the instructions just post here and I'll help you out.

3. Corrado33 thread starter macrumors member

Ok then I got through most of it (apparently I can't type what I see, so I copied and pasted.) but now I have a problem. What shell do I need to be in? Because whenever I get to this section...

Configure, make, install
    ./prepare-source
    ./configure
    make
    sudo make install

It says "./prepare-source: line 26: make: command not found"

Any help there? Thanks again.

EDIT: I'm usually fine with all of the commands and stuff... but "shells" confuse the heck out of me. If you have somewhere that could explain that to me as well, that'd be awesome. Thanks.

EDIT 2: So a quick google search told me that I need to have developer tools installed to use the "make" command... That's kinda dumb, but I'll do that really quick and see what happens.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Yes, that was the key there. Since you're compiling the code yourself you need the developer tools. Leopard installed them by default for me so I've always had them.

By default, Terminal uses the bash shell and that's all you need for this.

Should be smooth sailing once the developer tools are in place.

5. Corrado33 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help. Yeah I chose not to install Developer Tools when I installed leopard simply because I figured I'd never need them, and I didn't want them taking up the 2 gigs that they do. (I also got rid of gigs of printer drivers and language supports that I'll NEVER use). Anyway, if I have any more questions I'll let you know.

Thanks again.