want to upgrade hard drive in MBP, suggestions?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by khadgar2k1, Mar 13, 2011.

1. khadgar2k1, Mar 13, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2011

khadgar2k1 macrumors member

im thinking between:

- Western Digital 640GB 5400rpm Scorpio Blue w/ 8MB Cache
    - SEAGATE 500GB Momentus 7200rpm w/ 16MB Cache

I'm coming from a macbook that only has 80gb. I like the idea of having a lot of space but how much difference will 7200rpm make in terms of performance?

I plan on swapping out the 320gb hard drive that comes with the new 13 inch macbook pros

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

If it were me, I'd go with the 640 GB drive--I tried the Seagate you mention in my i5 13" and it created way too much vibration for me--felt like the computer was humming. I've since gone to a 500 GB WD Blue, and that seems fine.

3. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

4. HBOC macrumors 68020

i have the samsung 640gb 7200rpm drive and it is A-OK thus far. I would have gotten another Hitachi, but didn't see that they make anything larger than 500GB in the 7200rpm flavour.. I had a TravelStar before for a year and a half and it was great as well.

5. khadgar2k1 thread starter macrumors member

warranty

so, i came across this in the 'get started guide':

WARNING: Apple recommends that you have an Apple-certified technician install replacement drives and memory. Consult the service and support information that came with your computer for information about how to contact Apple for service. If you attempt to install a replacement drive or memory and damage your equipment, such damage is not covered by the limited warranty on your computer.

i asked the apple store employee about this and he said that if i dont get the hard drive and memory installed by certified technicians, i lose my warranty. If i install things properly without damaging my computer, do i still lose warranty? the apple store employee was trying to tell me that if i dont have proper documentation saying a qualified person installed it for me, they could say nothing could be done for me in terms of warranty even if the issue is unrelated to the hard drive or memory

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Apple store employees have next to no idea what they are talking about. That's not at all true. If you screw something up while replacing the hard drive or memory, then they can't help you with that specific thing, but you can't lose your warranty if you do it properly. They are just trying to get you to buy from them and waste your money having them install it. If you ever have an issue and they claim that, bust out your service manual and show them that you're allowed to do that. Another idea is to simply put a fresh install of OS X onto the original hard drive, then pop that in along with the original memory should you ever have an issue.

7. khadgar2k1 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the input

im a bit peeved that they put me on a bit of a wild goose chase but at least the end result is that ill be able to put the larger hard drive in without these consequences he led me to believe

8. Alonzo84 macrumors 6502a

Alonzo84

Just fine? Have you noticed any performance increases? I am contemplating the Blue or the 7200 750GB Black for my 13" i5, but I keep hearing mixed results with 7200 drives in the 13" regarding heat, noise, and reduced battery life. They have other drives with the intelliseek feature that adjusts from 5400 to 7200rpm depending on use. Has anyone tried the Black or one of the intelliseek drives in the new 13"?

EDIT: It appears that the intelliseek drives are only available for desktops.

9. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Performance increase? No. Just fine? Yes.

I tried a number of 7200 RPM drives in my i5 13" and every single one of them drove me nuts with the increase in vibration. Perhaps I'm overly sensitive, but I couldn't stand it, and I wonder if the 13" just doesn't have enough mass to handle the increased vibration.

I'd suggest trying a 7200 RPM drive vs. the 640 GB 5400 RPM and see which one you prefer.