want to upgrade my macbook pro 2006 to newer os so i can have i tunes work with i phone 6s

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by garry@garry, Sep 21, 2016.

1. garry@garry macrumors newbie

garry@garry

2. garry@garry thread starter macrumors newbie

garry@garry

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

You can 'hack' it to run a newer version os OSX, but it will not be a pleasent experience. But then, if you *only* need it for iTunes, it should be okay.

4. garry@garry thread starter macrumors newbie

garry@garry

If I buy maveriks on a USB will it install

5. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

You'll need to use one of the hacks to enable it to install on your machine.

Check out the numerous posts here about Yosemite or El Capitan on the Mac Pro 1,1 (2006) to get an idea of the process. Understand that you're going to need a lot of available tinkering time and access to another machine that supports the OS X version that you choose to install.

The process may be unpleasant. But the results can be great. I've got El Capitan installed on my 2006 Mac Pro. And it performs wonderfully. Actually very comparable to (or better than) snow leopard.

And yes, I've benchmarked it.

As for his portable, I can't really say for sure. But I saw no decrease in performance. And benchmarks showed a minor improvement with El Capitan on my system.

I've been using El Capitan for about a month, and it's been very reliable and smooth. No problems at all.

Of course, getting there is the Challenge. Once you arrive, it's smooth sailing.

6. garry@garry thread starter macrumors newbie

garry@garry

I have not got another machine that supports maveriks/Yosemite or El Capitan just an I phone and I pad and my MacBook Pro can I still do it??

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Of course it depends on the machine. I did it myself on the same machine as OP, and it was awful. Safari was wonky, wireless was wonky. iCloud didn't function at all.

No, your machine will never be able to run Mavericks. Mountain Lion only.

8. garry@garry thread starter macrumors newbie

garry@garry

Which one is the easiest to install with hack

9. flyinmac macrumors 68030

flyinmac

Unless you have someone else provide you with a functional installation, you are going to need access to another machine to even think about starting such a project.

You need a machine compatible with the newer OS to download / obtain the OS, and to perform the modifications that will enable your machine to boot the OS.

You need to modify a working installation. For that, you need a more recent machine to do the work.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    I've never messed with the Apple portables after the G3 and G4 series. I wasn't impressed with the early Intel Mac portables, so I went to the Mac Pro. And I've been using it ever since.

I understand that they got better. But the first few runs of the portable Intel Macs had a lot of built quality issues. By the time they ironed them out, I had already gotten the tower.

I would expect performance to be somewhere between my Dell Optiplex 745 SFF (core2duo 2.0) and my Mac Pro as it was before I updated my hardware.

And should be quite capable. But, as you say, there may be driver issues on particular machines that need worked out.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 22, 2016 ---
    The answer to that question will be different from every person you ask. The answer is to obtain the materials you need first, and try the methods discussed in detail on these forums. The easiest solution, is whichever experimental method you succeed with first.