Want to upgrade my Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by matt94gt, Sep 16, 2011.

1. matt94gt, Sep 16, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2011

matt94gt macrumors member

I have late 2008 15.5" Macbook Pro

Processor: 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    Memory: 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Under Video Card it lists two (not sure why?)
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    NVIDIA GeForce 9400M GT

I was looking at upgrading the ram to possibly 8GB (or can I go bigger?) as I assume by now it should be affordable, and was not sure what route to go, any suggestions, not even sure what I need to put in. What should I look for, any brand in particular? DDR3 1067 MHz? I assume right now I have 2 x 2GB sticks?

Anything else I should upgrade at the same time thats somewhat affordable? Processor? Video Card?

2. mdgm macrumors 6502a

Your Mac can support up to 6GB (2GB + 4GB) RAM, I believe (I'm not sure though, the limit may be only 4GB. Check here: http://macsales.com/memory). The upgrades you could consider would be upgrading the RAM and possibly purchasing a SSD.

Having said that your Mac is now quite old and you might want to consider upgrading to a new one.

3. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

06 Macbooks support 4GB. I used to own one and that was the max on mine, but I had the white one, so who know.

My advice to you would be to wait until a DDR2 deal pops up, and then jump on it. Prices are usually VERY high for older ram, until it goes on sale.

4. ahbdesign macrumors member

Did the late 2006 MBPs come with DDR3 ram? Or did u mean Late 2008? If this is so, then the video card would list 9400M + 9600M GT which means it has an integrated and discrete graphics card.

If it is a late 2008 MBP, then you'd be able to go up to 8GB ram

These are the specs for the late 2006 MBP:

http://support.apple.com/kb/sp24

It doesn't quite match with the specs you just said

5. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

Maybe you should save up the money, and Upgrade. Well worth it.

6. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

Whoops I missed that. The 2006 models don't come in 2.66 either, so it's either 07 or 08. If you're using DDR3, then newegg has 8GB for $30 or less (depending on tax).

7. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

Sorry guys it must be an 08 not 06 my bad it looks the same as the new ones (unibody), identical besides having the mini port and removable battery.

So sayings its a 08 I can get 8gig? How much would a faster processor be? Seems the ram is under $100?!

Can someone link me to the ram I would need, is there better brands I dont mind spending a bit more.

8. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

9. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

OK so thats a good ram to get (g.skill)? Ill wait till it comes back in stock then. Will upgrading the ram help quite a bit with launching programs, and loading times (do graphic design)

What do you mean I cant upgrade without selling mine? I know I can't have two, whats the price for a better processer (APPROX)?

Thanks

10. kbfr08 macrumors 6502

kbfr08

The processor is permanently affixed to the logic board. I've done processor swaps in the past (2.0 to 2.16), but it's not something that most users (and some techs) can even attempt. If you'd like to know how it's done, I'll make a post on replacing the graphics processor on a white iMac c2d, which is the same exact procedure.

And yes, G.SKILL is a good brand, and i haven't had any problems with the G.SKILL desktop RAM. For what it's worth, it'll be using the same ram chips as the other manufacturers, since G.SKILL doesn't manufacture their own chips. I think samsung is the largest RAM chip producer.

11. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

Get a SDD, compared to RAM it is a night and day difference in performance change. Depending on how much space you need, for under $200 your computer will FLY.

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Yes. I have that exact RAM and it works perfectly. And yes, it will help a lot with graphic design applications.

The processor is soldered to the logic board. You could possibly substitute a different logic board with a faster processor, but it would be easier and cheaper to simply sell your machine and to buy a newer and faster one.

Any time! Hope it helps!

13. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone!

Can anyone recommend a SDD? I did not know they made that big of a difference, I would want at least 1tb as thats my current size.

Thanks

14. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

The largest 2.5" SSD Newegg lists at the moment is 600 GB, which costs a cool $1119.

15. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

forget the SSD then, ram should help a little :)

16. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Wise choice, young Skywalker . . .

;)

17. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

18. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

the pc10600 ram will down clock to the speed of your system (1066), so it should work no problem.

19. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

OK but is one better then the other, $10 isnt a big deal...assume downclocking my system is not a good thing, its taking away processor speed in essence?

Thanks.

20. monsieurpaul, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

monsieurpaul macrumors regular

I have the same model as yours and I just upgraded it with the following:

- 8 GB (from Crucial)

- a 64 GB SSD (also from Crucial. It was less expensive when I bought it)

I kept my previous HDD in place and put the SSD in an optibay. I am still waiting for my USB DVD enclosure.

I just used 1 small Phillips screwdriver, iFixit guides and some care.

I reinstalled Mac OS with the 64 GB SSD as system drive and my previous 500 GB HDD as Data drive. Extra clean install, all apps were reinstalled, all data were manually copied from my TM backUp. In addition you'll need to do the following:
    - Copy the user folder from SSD to HDD
    - Associate the user folder on the HDD to your account (System settings > Users > right click on your account for advanced options) Howto
    - DO NOT REMOVE the user folder on the SSD
    - You should create an Admin account whose user folder will stay on the SSD in case the HDD fail.

My Macbook Pro is now blazing fast with instant opening of Word/Excel/PowerPoint 2011 for instance. I haven't tested VMWare enough to notice the 8 GB upgrade yet.

21. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

22. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

Interesting, that seems like a good idea I did not know we could put 2 HDs in our macbooks.

If thats the case I imagine I would use the SSD for the OS and all apps/programs, then you would use the original HD for all your files and documents?

That way all the apps/programs have their own dedicated HD which even in its self would speed up the process of running apps and the addition of the SSD must make it even more so efficient. Correct?

This seems like a good solution, I was not aware we could use a 2nd HD. I assume what the CON is the fact we lose the CD/DVD drive, which I rarely use anyways.

23. monsieurpaul, Sep 29, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2011

monsieurpaul macrumors regular

To be honest, if 500 GB SSD were available at a decent price, I wouldn't have bothered, but right now the combo small SSD for system + big HDD for data is the best price/performance ratio you can get.

The most obvious con is indeed the loss of the internal optical drive, but you can put it in an enclosure and still use it. The other cons are:

- You'll have to do it. It's very easy and you won't void your warranty per se, but if you have to send your MBP for repair, you'll have to put everything back in its right place.

- As the home folder is on the Data HDD, you need both disk to boot your Macbook. 2 disks = twice more chances for your Macbook to malfunction. That's why you should create an account with its home folder on the System disk, that way you can still boot your Macbook even if your Data HDD is dead.

- I don't know how Time Machine behave with such a setup. I think you'll have to turn off the local backup that will fill your SSD in no time, and you won't be able to restore your system as easily (not too sure on this one).

- I don't know the impact on the battery life as I swapped an optical drive that was never used with an HDD that it is used.

But all things considered, it was very well worth it. For around 200 $, it's like I have a brand new Macbook. Even better, when it starts I don't have the Is-it-broken-? noise of the DVD drive anymore.

2 last things:

- For the RAM upgrade, be sure to update your EFI
    - For the Optibay caddy, do not hesitate to buy it on eBay, but take a model that has 3 screw holes for fixing it in the Macbook (like the optical drive).

24. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

Ssd

Thanks all for your input.

Going to go the SSD and ditch the DVD route.

Now looking at ssds...in my black friday thread I was told to look into the Samsung SSD.

I assume its this one:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147502

Is it much better then the Crucial:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...na&AID=10521304&PID=4169666&SID=1k36xsyhtzfgx

Can anyone confirm the samsung I need? Here are the rest of them:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...89&isNodeId=1&Description=SAMSUNG+830&x=0&y=0

Thanks all!!

25. matt94gt thread starter macrumors member

What do you mean, go with a larger SSD instead of the small SSD and scrap the optical?

I plan on upgrading the ram from 4GB to 8GB, then doing the SSD route just like monsieurpaul did (see quote below)

Now what I am thinking is will this KILL my battery? Like above I NEVER use my dvd drive but my battery already sucks, will adding the 2nd HD eat it up quite a bit faster? Is it best to save extra money and go with a 500GB SSD and the ram?

Wont I get better performance having the two separate HDs? I know I would save about $500 which is a good chunk of change.

Or would it be the same as partitioning a 500gb SSD with 100gb for the OS/Apps and 400gb for the documents?

I still think I will go the 64gb or 128gb SSD and put the extra cash towards a nice monitor and bluetooth keyboard.

Also back to my question...Can anyone confirm the samsung I need if I went 64gb or 128gb?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...89&isNodeId=1&Description=SAMSUNG+830&x=0&y=0