Want to upgrade my MB

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iFeras, Sep 12, 2011.

1. iFeras macrumors member

Hi there ..

My MB has 10.5 system and I just bought the Lion USB ..

I want to upgrade it but I don't wanna lose my iTunes and iPhoto library, iPhones backups and other files. I have also some apps that I purchased them.

Can I upgrade my MB without losing them ? and what is the best way to do it (the upgrade) ?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Do a backup first, as always, but the standard upgrade won't delete any files.

jW

3. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

You can't not upgrade tiger to lion straight like that. The only way I recommend is to time machine everything then do a clean install of lion in lion disk utility with the USB u bought! That's wat I just did this past weekend for a friend on his MB with tiger.

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

I think you mean Leopard.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Indeed you can. I always recommend having a backup, but there is no need to wipe the drive before installing Lion.

jW

6. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

oops yea sorry lol

----------

How can you upgrade to Lion when you are on Leopard? Don't you need the latest 10.6.8 firmware from SL to do so?

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Not if you have the Lion USB Drive. 10.6.8 isn't firmware, btw, just software. You only need that to do the update via the App Store.

jW

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

So you are telling me running Leopard and have the mac store download Lion and install? It still doesn't show or tell me how! Only way to get the mac store isn't to have SL? :eek:

9. iFeras thread starter macrumors member

thanx all for your responses and suggestions..

I transfered all my filed to an external hard-disk so what i'm worrying about now is my iPhone backup and my address book, and i heard from my friend that if I install the lion with USB that won't delete them at all, So, is there anybody who tried that before ??

about upgrading, i just have to connect the lion usb and install it ??

10. niksimpsons macrumors member

niksimpsons

Wait just checkout once more. Have you checked compatibility issues of the Mac? Since all the applications which are PowerPC based will go inaccessible soon after the launch of Lion. If you thinking about "Rosetta" it also gonna work there. So check Mac compatibility issues before going for upgrade. Regarding iPhone backup and my address book I am not very much sure about it if your friend have practical experience he must be saying true (I mean its your friend after all :) )

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Read the post, please. If you buy the Lion USB Drive in the Apple Store, as the OP stated that they did, you do not have to have access to the Mac App Store to install Lion.

OP, you should be all sorted out. As the previous post mentioned, checking your software compatibility is probably a good idea, though it depends on what you have that is essential and what you don't really need. Anything you really care about, make sure it's compatible with Lion.

jW

12. iFeras thread starter macrumors member

i checked the post and i found that my computer is compatible with lion ..

Now my external hard-disk is full and i cannot make a backup for my computer and as i said that i'm worried about my iphone and my address book backup so could these following files be the backup if i copy them and paste them after upgrading my MB?

FOR iPhone BACKUP
    FERAS/library/Application support/Mobilesync

FOR ADDRESS BOOK
    FERAS/library/Application support/Address Book

:confused::confused: