Want to upgrade my two hard drives...Help please? ":)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Crunch, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Hey all...

I currently have two 200GB 7,200rpm drives w/FDE (Full Disk Encryption)...

I would really need more space, so I noticed Hitachi came out with this 320GB 7k300! Being that I would "only" gain 120GB, or 240GB if I went with two of those, so should I maybe go with one of the 320GB 7k300, and one 500GB 5,400rpm? Is there a bigger than 500GB HDD at 5,400rpm at 2.5"?

What do you guys think? If I have one super fast HDD, and one of the slower one, would I "shoot myself in the foot" somehow?? I mainly use the 2nd drive as storage, but I do access it frequently for streaming video and audio.

Hitachi vs. Seagate, and other brands? Is Hitachi considered "better" than its competitors? How's the Hitachi better than a Seagate with the same specs, for example?

Thanks all...:)

2. California macrumors 68040

California

What kind of mac do you have? I don't understand what you are doing.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

OP probably has the caddy that replaces the SuperDrive with a HDD.

And the 500GB and the 320GB are both fast. I don't think you have anything to worry about on either.

And Seagate is best.

4. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

I actually don't have a Mac. (Don't kill me please...;) )

You're right, I have what in Lenovo Thinkpad lingo is called the Ultrabay drive bay where you can swap out the DCDRW for another HDD, which I am guessing is what in the Mac's is referred to as the caddy.

So you think I should get a 320GB 7k300 and a 500GB 5,400...? The 500GB would be used mostly for storage. That would be awesome.

In yours, and everyone else's opinion, is the 7k300 really significantly faster than a 7,200rpm?? And 5,400rpm with large file transfers between the faster 320GB drive is only going to run at 5,400rpm, right?

820GB, woah...that'd be awesome. I can sell my two 200GB's, as well as several smaller ones I have, a 100GB, two 160GB's, and an 80GB. Not all of 'em. Just to cover the purchase of the new drives. ;)

What do you guys think?

Oh, and how come you mentioned Seagate is the best? A lot of people say Hitachi is. It probably doesn't matter, but before I go into this purchase, I'd love to hear opinions about that.

Thanks everyone! :)

5. bplein macrumors 6502

bplein

Question: Why are you posting this question here? Your question is a generic hard drive question. Your t60 isn't a MacBook Pro or a PowerBook. You could have just as easily posted this in the Mac Mini section. Why didn't you post it there? Because it's the wrong section? So is this!

I'm not trying to be mean, but this isn't a general hard drive technology forum. Yes, there are lots of people that have that knowledge here (me included).

So you will miss out on lots of laptop specific knowledge, because you've taken your Lenovo questions to a Mac forum. Does it take 12.5mm drives? Does it take only 9.5mm? Does the expansion bay take a bigger one while the main drive bay only the smaller? Is is compatible with SATA-II? Does it support NCQ? All if this is important stuff when looking at drives, and in this forum we tend to know these for MBPs and other Mac products.

Just my two cents.

6. antmo macrumors member

notebookreview.com forums are an excellent place to get notebook info of all kinds, for any manufacturer, including apple.

mjb

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you mentioned that in the first place I would have understood this more clearly (I have said device).

I'm confused, the 7k300 doesn't exist, but the 7k320 is a 7200RPM drive so what do you mean it's going to to fast than one? Same goes for the 5400RPM drive… :confused:

8. Crunch thread starter macrumors 6502

Crunch

I'm sorry everyone. I didn't express my questions very well at all.

And I'm posting here, as I am contemplating getting a MacBook Pro.

Thanks to everyone who responded. ;)