Want to upgrade to 250GB - question about Scorpio HDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by InkMaster, Dec 6, 2007.

1. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

So I'm thinking of upgrading my current 160GB HD to a 250GB one.

So right now I'm looking at Hitachi, Samsung and WD...

My question is about the WD Scoprio HDs - sometime ago I head that they cause kernel panics in Macs because of motion censor built into the HD - does that problem still remain or is that ancient history? I just haven't been able to find any further info on that.

Also, what're your thoughts on the Samsung Spinpoint, and Hitachi Travelstar HDs

:apple:

2. nikiski macrumors regular

I upgraded my MacBook Pro harddrive to a 250GB Hitachi. Performance-wise I don't notice any difference, but the Fujitsu drive that came stock caused some vibrations throughout the computer (might have been a lose screw). The Hitachi drive is dead-silent. I can't hear it unless I put my ear about 1.5 inch above the area the harddrive locates (I have quite sensitive ears).

3. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I have a Western Digital 2500BEVS and haven't noticed a single problem.

4. negatv1 macrumors 6502

Have the WD Scorpio drive in my macbook pro. Had for ~six months or so. No problems.

5. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I never hear it in my MacBook, though I do most of my computing in non-studio environments.

7. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I have this drive in my macbook. It hasn't caused me any trouble to date. I have had it since the Leopard release, so not long, but I have used it in two different laptops without issue. Quite as a church mouse too.

8. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I have the WD 250 in my MB. Got it just as soon as it became available on Newegg :)

Works great, don't hear it, doesn't seem to change my battery usage (i.e., eat more power than the 160GB I had before), and I love the extra space. I am interested in the new 320GB's now.

Kimo

9. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

320??? Where? I still didnt see those... Are they for sale somewhere?

10. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

WD had them in their online store briefly, but they have been out of stock since. Now they've been announced in a portable drive, so maybe WD will start ramping up production.

11. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

They were never actually available for sale.

12. pna macrumors 6502

I'm not sure about the 250 gb scorpios, but the 160 gb scorpio I have in my MBP is, for the most part, exceptionally quiet. I say for the most part, because there is almost no ambient noise, but every few minutes or so I hear a bit of a sharp noise as the heads park. Or at least, that's what I assume is going on. It's annoying in a very quiet environment, but would not bother anyone aside from the most picky about acoustics.

I too, am excited about the 320's. My 160 is full, and it's a pain enough to replace the HD that I'm unwilling to drop in a 250 if I can just wait a few more months and get the extra 70 gb.

13. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

well no wonder I never saw them; are there any rumors on when they'll be available?
    :apple:

14. RaceTripper macrumors 68030

I'd like to see them become available. I want to use one for a FW800 portable enclosure I have.

15. skuzzy macrumors member

For 2.5" drivers, I would swear by the Hitachi Travelstars. Out of all the other "known" brands (WD, Seagate), the Hitachi drives have failed the least.

16. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

srsly? 2.5" HD's seem like a waste as externals... especially considering that they cost way more then their 3.5" counterparts... For the 200 bucks (which if not mistaken this costs) - you can get a 750GB 3.5" HD :/

17. thagomizer macrumors 6502

thagomizer

I just installed a Hitachi Travelstar 7K200 200GB 7200rpm drive to replace the stockl 160GB (also a Hitachi) in my 17" 2.4 MacBook Pro.

The new 7200rpm drive is just as quiet as the stock drive in the MBP, and feels somewhat faster.

I noticed that the 7200rpm drive had an audible 'buzz' and would vibrate when kept in an external 2.5" enclosure. But when I installed it in the MacBook Pro, it's quiet and I can barely feel it.

18. thagomizer macrumors 6502

thagomizer

Well, not really a waste if you need to use it on-the-go. There are no Firewire bus-powered 3.5" external enclosures; you have to plug those into AC power.

19. InkMaster thread starter macrumors 6502a

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I bought a Passport 250GB and tore it apart for the tasty drive inside (139.99 at Best Buy this week) and put that in my 120 GB Macbook just last night. I then put the drive from my macbook (It was a 120 Hitachi! :D) into the enclosure now I've got the perfect digital solution for the portable life! I ordered my 4 GB or RAM for newegg last night too! I love this stuff!

Inside the Passport is Scorpio.

21. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

My 250GB scorpio is quite loud actually. And by loud I mean "off silent". You can hear the sound level drop when the hard drive goes to sleep.
    Its not loud enough to bother me but its louder than my old hitachi 160.

22. r88my macrumors regular

I have had the 250GB WD scorpio for a couple of months now and it runs perfectly without any noticeable power usage differences. I wouldn't say the drive is silent though, more very quiet.