Want to upgrade to Windows 10 in Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Luis Ortega, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I have a 2008 Mac Pro running El Capitan with a separate hard drive running Windows 7 through Bootcamp and it all runs well.
    I got an upgrade offer when I last logged on to Windows saying that I could upgrade to Windows 10 and asked whether to do so. The system report said that the PC is suitable for upgrade.
    Is it ok to just let it upgrade Windows or will that create problems because it's really a Bootcamp installation?
    Thanks for any advice.

2. supermariofan25 macrumors regular

supermariofan25

Should be fine, as long as it doesn't touching anything that its not supposed to, which it wont. Only problem you might have is lack of Windows 10 compatible Bootcamp drivers for your model computer. Only the 2013 Mac Pro officially supports Windows 10. The 2009 Mac Pro was the earliest Mac Pro to support Windows 8.1 and could possibly run Windows 10 with some Bootcamp functionality through backwards compatibility (e.g. Function Keys and other Apple specific drivers.) Other drivers will need to be sourced from manufacturers. Im not sure how similar the 2008 and 2009 Mac Pros are or even if that would work but that your best best. Good Luck!

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

@Luis Ortega Your Mac will run Windows 10 but you may need to modify the Boot Camp 6 package to receive full functionality.

4. fastlanephil macrumors 6502a

fastlanephil

I got the same offer on my 2009 5.1 Mac Pro. I get a "Starting Upgrade" window with little white balls going around in a circle but the download never starts.

I also have lost BT while in W7. That be a little nudging on MS part to do the upgrade.