Want to upload sitemap.html - iWeb generated site - where is 'public_html' folder?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by sputnik1756, Feb 27, 2009.

1. sputnik1756 macrumors newbie

Greetings All,

iWeb 3.0
    OSX 10.5.6

I've attempted to use both Rage Sitemap Automator and XMLSitemaps.com to upload a sitemap.xml file to my iWeb 3.0 created site which is remotely hosted (not .Mac).

Both programs ask for the file to be uploaded to the 'public_html' folder, which iWeb dosen't appear to create.

There are only two items on my server for this site: a file named index.html and then a folder with all the site's files ...

Just where should the sitemap.xml file be installed then?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

public_html isn't something iWeb or any program creates. It's where your web site sites on the server. Not all servers use that name. You'll use whatever the root folder is for your web site, which is the folder you place your web site in on the server. Some servers may call it www others call it yourdomain.com.

3. craig1410 macrumors 6502a

craig1410

Hi,

I did this by just uploading the sitemap to the top level folder via my iDisk.

[Although if you are not using MobileMe or .Mac then you should just upload to your site root folder]
    Regards,
    Craig.

4. sputnik1756 thread starter macrumors newbie

Managed to submit sitemap.html

Don't know why, but got an error from Rage Sitemap Automator that the sitemap.html file was not installed properly, even though it was in my root directory.

But Google sees it on the site now, so all is OK.

Thanks for your responses!

5. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Glad it's working now.

Just for anyone's reference, I've seen web hosts use public_html, www, domainname.com, and httpdocs.

The first time I've encountered each I've been confused. You'd think something like this could be formalized :rolleyes: