Want to upload video to HIMYM video contest on CBS site

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by peacelovehorses, Jan 13, 2012.

1. peacelovehorses, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2012

peacelovehorses macrumors newbie

I need some serious help... i have tried almost everything I can think of. (mostly finding free conversions online)
    Im entering a really important video contest, and the video requirements are jpg, gif, and png. I made my movie in imovie and i believe it is mp4 or something like that...
    Does anyone have ANY idea how to convert movies in imovie over to jpg, png, or gif? Any help would be greatly appreciated...i cant spend any money if i can help it.
    every video conversion i can find that says will switch my imovie video to jpg acts like it will make it into a picture..and i dont need that. i am just seriously confused.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

In short, you can't. The jpg, png formats are still shot formats. When you create a movie, the file extension is changed to mp4.

You should make a SLIDESHOW in iPhoto or Aperture with the original jpg png files.

I hope you backed up the originals.

3. simsaladimbamba

1. To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

2. Videos/movies are moving images, JPEG and PNG are image formats for non-moving images, GIF can store animations, but will look like animated www graphics in the 90s.

3. Maybe link to that video competition and its requirements, as the ones you listed are not for video.

4. Why the "lol" moment in your thread title?

4. peacelovehorses thread starter macrumors newbie

5. simsaladimbamba

6. peacelovehorses thread starter macrumors newbie

i tried attaching it to this..see if you can see it.
    I know it needs to be a video because in the "rules" or whatever it says video cannot exceed one minute and cannot be under 30 seconds. and there are videos that other people have posted that are not slideshows or anything but a video of them talking to a webcam or something.

Attached Files:

7. simsaladimbamba

What happens, if you just upload the .mp4 file? Maybe the programmers of that CBS page were just idiots and took a template and forgot to change the file types.

8. peacelovehorses thread starter macrumors newbie

every time i do, it just takes it a minute and it goes back to the upload page..so i have no idea if it is going through or not? :(

9. simsaladimbamba

I registered there, and that contest page is really lacking any information and I also found some grammatical errors, thus I guess, they just threw all things together. But as you already stated, and I have seen, videos have been uploaded, and JPG, PNG and GIF are not video. Maybe try to contact them (CBS or/and some uploader(s)) and see, if they can give you proper information.

Also edit your thread title to something like Want to upload video to HIMYM video contest on CBS site to maybe get more help.

Btw, clicking on the RULES link on that website brings one nowhere. Just another clue, that CBS is sometimes full of *****.

10. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Yeah, that upload page has issues. Grammar, file type, and even the directions are sketchy. Are you supposed to put your name in the 'caption' section or what? I'd think if the video file meets YouTube standards and is less than 75MB, it should upload.

Maybe call CBS and get some answers directly from them.

----------

Wow, trippy jinx going on, heh!

11. peacelovehorses thread starter macrumors newbie

i just looked at the rules and it states

b. must be delivered by uploading the Promotion Story to the CBSI Service formatted and encoded in accordance with the requirements listed on the CBSI Service to include one of the following file types: (i) .wmv; (ii) .AVI (windows); (iii) .MOV (mac); and (iv) .MPEG4;

and that is what the upload page first had listed on the upload page for their requirement files. So that is when i converted my video to .mov.
    But it still did the same thing...took me back to the upload page.
    I will try to call and i will change my subject line. thank you guys for your help!

12. AdrianK, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  13. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yep, I agree, that would be incredibly strange to have a video contest requiring image formats :confused:

Have another look at the rules section, and post them here too if you would like another set of eyes on them

14. peacelovehorses thread starter macrumors newbie

When i looked on the rules page this is what it says:
    b. must be delivered by uploading the Promotion Story to the CBSI Service formatted and encoded in accordance with the requirements listed on the CBSI Service to include one of the following file types: (i) .wmv; (ii) .AVI (windows); (iii) .MOV (mac); and (iv) .MPEG4;

These formats are different than the ones listed on the upload page.
    However, when i try to upload in any of the formats on the rules page it just takes me back to the upload page like it didnt go through.

I tried calling CBS and they unfortunately do not have hours on the weekend.