Want to use iPhone 3G just as an iPod...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aubs6904, Jul 24, 2010.

1. aubs6904 macrumors newbie

I have the new iPhone 4 and would like to use my 8GB iPhone 3G just as an iPod. (Removing all apps and previous music on there; I am giving this to my boyfriend to use. So I would like to give him a "blank slate" so he can put as much music on there as he can.) Is this possible without screwing up my new iPhone and the syncing on my Macbook? Or do we have to do this with a different computer, separate from the one I use for my iPhone 4? :apple::apple:

2. ARF900 macrumors 65816

ARF900

You can do all that just dont take the SIM out, and dont panic if the 3G says "waiting for activation"

3. tjwaggoner macrumors regular

Yes you will have to go to "erase all content and settings" then leave the sim in and plug it into the computer and let itunes activate it (NOT SYNC), then unplug it and remove the sim card, had it over to your boyfriend and its his to use as he wishes. Please note as many people seem to not understand this....if you leave your sim card or he trys to put one of his sim cards in it to use it as a phone without paying for the iphone data plan, att WILL add it to the bill automatically. Leave the sim card out of the phone if you are just wanting an ipod touch functionality. Here is even an official apple support page just for you:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3406

Edit: Plug the phone into a wall charger before doing the "erase all content and settings" and let is set overnight, this can take hours to finish. If by chance it doesnt work and locks the phone up (happened to me) just plug it into itunes and restore it that way but not from a backup and dont sync it.