Want to wipe out hard drive and install Snow Leopard, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sako7stw, Jan 24, 2010.

1. sako7stw macrumors member

I am having problems with my I-Mac. It is the 2.8GHZ 24" model and when I try to start it up I get a white screen with a blinking grey file folder with a "?" mark in it??

I had this problem before. Erased the hard drive and then reinstalled everything. I made it through it but I think I may have done it wrong. Anyways the computer worked good till the other day. I upgraded to Snow Leopard and now it is doing it again.

Do I need to start with the install disk 1 that came with the computer and install disk 2, then install snow leopard? Or can is there a faster route of doing this?

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Use the SL DVD but before you install go to the Utilities menu item and run Disk Utility to repair the disk.

3. pdjudd macrumors 601

Snow Leopard discs can do clean installs if you wish.

4. sako7stw thread starter macrumors member

How do i go about doing that? Do I hold down the "C" key while I power up? I cant get to where I could do a disk utilities or anything so I have to do it from powering up.

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Turn on, hold C and follow instructions.

You don't need to go into disk utility as there is an option to format in the SL install and it has all the same options as DU.

6. bobriot macrumors member