Want USB Tether enabled and Wifi tether disabled

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by russgameroom, Oct 31, 2011.

1. russgameroom macrumors newbie

I sometimes bring my laptop into client locations where wifi is NOT allowed, and I am not allowed to directly connect to their network.

I want to tether my laptop to the IPhone using USB WITHOUT enabling the Iphone's WIFI hotspot.

Settings --> personal hotspot Seems to be a single ON/OFF for all three types of hotspot connections (wifi, bluetooth, USB). Is there any way to leave USB Hotspot ON, and turn OFF wifi, bluetooth Hotspot?

I have the Iphone 4s - with Verizon, I am paying for 4 GB of Mobile hotspot. I have successfully tethered to the Iphone using the USB and the WIFI hotspot.

Thanks,
    Russ

2. jfulcher macrumors regular

My understanding is if you disable Wifi - then wifi tether won't be enabled either. Also my experience.

3. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

This is correct. Also, if you have both wi-fi and hotspot turned off, then enable hotspot, a popup will ask if you want to turn wi-fi on or use just USB and Bluetooth.

4. russgameroom thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes - Finally

I had seen the separate wifi option directly under settings... but I thought that would only affect the IPhone latching onto other Wifi hotspots. It did not occur to me, that turning wifi off there would also prevent the Iphone from being a wifi hotspot when personal hotspot is enabled.

So these are my settings:
    Settings --> wifi --> off
    Settings --> general --> Bluetooth --> off
    Settings --> Personal Hotspot --> on

= Laptop tethered to Iphone Via USB ONLY. Iphone is being charged at same time, and no wifi being broadcast by Iphone. Exactly what I want.

Thanks,
    Russ

5. LGM macrumors newbie

LGM

how to torn of the wifi hotspot and leave the bluetooth on.

Go to settings and turn of wifi, then turn of the hotspot and back on, a pop up window will ask if you want to use just the usb and bluetooth to connect, after that, just turn your wifi back on on settings.