Want Verizon 5s for Straight Talk

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Greg M, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Greg M macrumors 6502

I want to buy a Verizon 5s to use on straight talk. It looks like I can go one of two ways.

Buy one under contract and then turn around and cancel the contract and pay the ETF.

or

Buy one at full price from Apple.

They come out close to the same price. My question is about the issue of having a clean IMEI number. Will either of these two buying options prevent me from using the iphone with ST?

I've got an unlocked T-Mobile 5s but the signal strength isn't good enough for an iPhone at my house. T-Mobile works great with other phones but the sub-par reception of the iphone makes it unreliable for my area.

I can use the AT&T ST sim with my 5s and use AT&T's network which works OK at my house. However, Verizon's signal is the best in general and I figure if my wife's iphone 4s is on AT&T's network while mine is on Verizon's then at least one of our phones should work almost anywhere.

Am I missing something?
    Will both options result in a clean IMEI number?

One of my concerns is the full price 5s not getting a clean number because it was never activated on Verizon.

2. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I say buy full price at Apple. I know people who bought it from a carrier and paid the ETF and seem like it a pain. They get the final bill, it's not right, call and argue, and it's just time wasted.