Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CromulentChriss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
Hi! Just a couple of questions, thanks in advance!

If I download a torrent in firefox vuze automatically opens (because that's what I have set it to do under the application tab in preferences). But I'm using safari, as my primary browser, and I would like for safari to associate torrents with vuze/transmission in the same way.

When I download a torrent from, say, mininova the torrent is downloaded to my downloads folder and is visible in the safari download window (with the azureus icon) - but I manually have to open the torrent for vuze to start downloading. So the torrent is associated to vuze, but it doesn't automatically start downloading.

I also wanted to know how to associate certain filetypes (like .torrents .jpeg .mp3 etc) to a specific applicatiion - just like my torrents are associated to vuze. I guess some apps have that option in the preferences or when it is installed - but I was wondering if there is a way to view a list of a bunch of different filetypes and then manually associate them to a different app than they already are - maybe there is an app that does just that?

Oh, and finally; the safari download window I was talking about: Is there a way to open that window to view your recent downloads. In firefox you just go: tools --> downloads - and you can even fit a "open-download-window" button in the bookmark toolbar (and because I just can't figure out how I initially got it there I would like to know how - in case some of you know).

CromulentChriss

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 19, 2008
I really had hoped someone could help me with this one - not with all of my problems, but anything at all will help

Thanks

scorwitz

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2012
Nobody here has ever encountered?

BUMP, as a Mac forum is the place to deal with issues that Macs specifically keep from happening. I never had this problem until I started using Safari on my Mac. Why wouldn't this be automatic. I thought Apples were supposed to be more user friendly.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
BUMP, as a Mac forum is the place to deal with issues that Macs specifically keep from happening. I never had this problem until I started using Safari on my Mac. Why wouldn't this be automatic. I thought Apples were supposed to be more user friendly.
If you want to use Vuze as your default .torrent file handler, then you must set .torrent files to Open with: Vuze in the File/Get Info dialog box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.