Want wireless web cam for pet surveillance

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Auntie J, May 22, 2008.

1. Auntie J macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook, and I want to set up pet cams in my house and yard. I have 4 cats and have recently introduced a dog into the mix, and I want to be able to see how they interact while I am not there. I have been unsuccessful in finding a webcam that is compatible with the Mac -- everything seems to be for Windows.

At this point, I am getting a little bleary eyed and am not certain I wouldn't miss seeing the product I'm looking for. I've looked at Creative Labs, D-Link, Kensington, Logitech, Panasonic, and numerous others. In one customer feedback regarding one of the Panasonic models, the customer said he was able to configure for Mac but that it then lost all pan/zoom functionality. The key feature I'm looking for is to be able to view remotely. Wireless, pan/zoom, and sound would be nice (fun?) features, but I could live without them.

Does anyone know of a web/surveillance cam that will work in this way with the Macbook?

2. ebutka macrumors regular

ebutka

I don't know about Mac compatible but Linksys makes a wireless g webcam. I don't know a price or anything. I believe Panasonic makes one too and I'm sure there are other brands. Check newegg.com for other help.

3. DocMacPS macrumors newbie

DocMacPS

Mac Security Webcam Options

Probably the people who know most about implementing an Apple OS X based wireless/ethernet security web cam systems is http://www.evological.com/ who write great Mac software - and in this case EVOCAM can do what you need it to. I try to keep up with the Apple compatible UVC webcam market at my: http://www.mac-compatible-web-cam.com/ site -- And tho I don't really delve into Security cam issues, I do know from my site's stats that the rather pricey Panasonic line of BL-C monitoring cams sell best, and EvoCam supports Pan/Zoom/Tilt on those.

Evocam's latest release notes, version 3.6.2 details added support for even more cameras/manufacturers (amongst other improvements) so their known, working supported camera list should be a critical part in building the right setup for you.

4. Auntie J thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you DocMacPS

Thank you so much for your helpful post. I am still sorting out the information, but I am so happy to now have the resources I need to be able to make an informed purchasing decision and then set up my network. I appreciate your help.

5. McGiord, Jul 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Hello,
    I want to do a similar project, can you please share what you did?

Did you successfully implemented this?
    Or you did something different?

Many Thanks
    ________
    vaporizers

6. rrijkers macrumors 6502

rrijkers

7. TiffanySwan macrumors newbie

I am successfully using a couple of D-Link cams and Xeoma software. Works perfectly fine.