Wanted a second watch to purchase...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by chiefs1968, Apr 21, 2019.

1. chiefs1968 macrumors regular

And that watch was The Garmin Fenix 5X but discovered that the watch currently is becoming irrelevant based on the fact what the apple watch series 4 can do today...except having a compass. Altimeter, Barometer..Work Outdoors App along with Google maps Gps....for me the fenix 5x had its days.

2. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

I too have an AWS4, and a Garmin Fenix 5+. The only difference I can see between the two, other than the obvious looks, and "ruggedness" is that the AW doesn't have the capability to add bike sensors, (speed/cadence), nor power like from the chest strap I have, a PowerCal that includes power from the heart rate variability. Also quite obvious is the smoothing of GPS tracks that the AW performs, the tracks are much more smooth than any i have ever generated with any of the Fenix's I've had. I believe the native HR info on the AW is much more accurate, and am not sure about the indoor distance measurements, I haven't actually tested it at the track I use. One last point that I noticed the other day, I did a walk at a park with the AW on one wrist, and the F5+ on the other, and the distance between the two for the same walk, outside, using GPS, not the cadence was .3 Kilometer on the same walk, same day, using GPS! Here's the track comparison in MyGPS Files.

http://www.mygpsfiles.com/app/#QgDscCp3

3. Lee_Bo macrumors regular

Lee_Bo

While I'm not using it (yet), apps like Map My Fitness do allow bike sensors to be added, and then the app can be installed on the watch. What I don't know is if the watch app will also record bike sensors. I'm tempted to try since I usually take my phone with me on bike rides.

4. oeagleo macrumors 6502

oeagleo

Will be watching this. Very interested. I don't know if the app WorkOutdoors will allow this, or if it's a limitation of the watch itself. WorkOutdoors is an excellent app for any outdoor activity, virtually turns the AW into a fenix, with the above mentioned exceptions.

5. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

The single point I can see the garmins have over the AW might be battery life.

Ran a half marathon with my AirPods a week ago (build up for the full in mid May) and my AirPods were on 8% when I finished and the watch on 46%

The above means my AirPods are getting too old to go a full marathon and the watch can’t serve me with music for a full marathon (the music was even saved on the watch)

Hate running with my phone and hate even more to run with cable EarPods but if I want music it seems I don’t have a choice for the full race

6. Significant1 macrumors 6502a

You could run with two watches. One for music and one for workout B-)

Edit: and new airpods..

7. xDKP macrumors 65816

xDKP

New AirPods and my phone might do the trick - I have a flipbelt on me so not as bad as the arm-mounted phones but still

8. mk313 macrumors 6502a

You can also look at turning off the cellular data if you have a cellular version. That uses up a good amount of power. I’ve seen a fairly large improvement in battery life when running with cellular turned off.