Wanted: advice from owners of 30" ACD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rt&Dzine, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I just got a refurb 30" ACD. Nice! But it looks like the left side is darker and pinker and the right side is lighter and yellower. Is this an issue that any of you have had? I assume this isn't "normal." Would you exchange it? I thought refurbs were supposed to be checked for issues like this, although it almost looks the display was never used before (original plastic was still on the sides, etc.)

I'm going to call apple but I already spent too much time with them this morning with another issue.

2. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Before you do that go try some different color profiles and even try calibrating the monitor. Mine definitely does not have that appearance.

3. Transporteur macrumors 68030

4. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Thanks quantum003 and Transporteur! I've never worked on a 30" except for this one so I have no points for comparison. All I know is that my 20" ACD is perfect.

I calibrated the 30" through System Preferences. But no matter what settings I use the left side is darker than the right. It's most noticeable when I set the background to Solid Gray Medium. The left side is a completely different color than the right side. I'll exchange it but after reading some old threads on MR, I'm concerned the replacement may have problems too. I'm almost considering returning it and getting a Dell or HP.

Do most of you have "perfect" 30" ACDs?

5. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Mine is absolutely flawless. But that's what I expect from a display of that price.

You should send it back and request a new one.
    I have not experiences with the refurb products, but they might say 'That's what you get on a refurbished model'. I heard that recently from someone who bought a refurb MacBook Pro.
    In that case, just send it back and order a new one.

6. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'll do that. I usually ONLY buy refurbs and they may have small cosmetic flaws but have always been in perfect working condition. Thanks again.

7. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

UPDATE

I got a replacement monitor from apple and was very happy with their service. This monitor has consistent color and lighting, but now I'm really noticing the antiglare coating noise. It's more noticeable than on my 20" ACD. I read some threads about it and some people say you get used to it.

8. quantum003 macrumors 6502a

quantum003

Is that the random popping sound I've heard coming from the monitor? Guess I never really thought much about it before but sounds about right.

9. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Oh, sorry. I meant visual noise. The antiglare coating gives a sparkly appearance especially on white or light areas. I have my 30" next to my 20" and it shows up much more on the 30".

10. Rt&Dzine thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

I'm posting another update because it might help someone else. The "sparkly" antiglare coating was really annoying so I got another replacement. This one definitely doesn't have that problem. No more sparkling on the surface. It looks so clear and smooth now.