Wanted: an app that shoves text into an editor and saves it

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by one1, Aug 15, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

I bought shovebox because it says it can shove text, well I haven't figured out how. I haven't figured out a way to highlight and drag text, and shovebox doesn't allow you to highlight and right click to save the text into a text file.

That's what I want however. I need a program that will allow me to highlight text and save it into a text editor (preferably of my choice in an options menu) with a simple right click and save.

Right now I have to right click, save, open Xpad, text edit, or whatever and paste, then save.

The preferred method would be highlight, right click, save into a untitled file in documents automatically on just the one "save" click.

Anything like that floating around? Any Automator action possibilities that would allow the clipboard to save to text file automatically?

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Wow this is weird, but I just got it to shove the text by doing a weird action.

Here's a video where I attempt to drag the text a few times and it doesn't work. Then I try to right click for an option and it still doesn't work. THEN I right click and run my mouse down the menu and click the highlighted text and it WORKS. I twirled the text around on the screen so you could see it moving before I shoved it. Then I opened the saved text I shoved to verify it went into a text file.

So to review, highlight, right click and run your mouse down the menu (oddly won't work unless you do), then just shove the text. It's almost exactly what I was looking for, but such a weird way to make it work...........

[​IMG]

4. portent macrumors 6502a

You do know that you can always drag selected text right to the Desktop, or to any folder, to create a text clipping file, right?

Or you can always drag selected text to a text editor iin the Dock to open a new, unsaved text document?

I know they lacks the Windows-style right-click menu step, but if you don't need that....

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

just have a text editor on the dock and drag the text to it. or you can drag to a clipping file and use that in a text editor, drag/drop.

6. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

I can't drag text as you can see in the video. That was the whole problem. I don't know why.

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

highlight the text. Click the text, don't move the mouse, hold it for about 1 second, then drag the text.

8. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

That works, thank you. Wasn't exactly "in the manual" ;)

I have control-drag enabled in SAFT and thought that might affect it in some way, but no.... not that I can see.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

It took me quite a while to figure that out. In my opinion it's poorly implemented in OS X.