Wanted: Desktop monitor for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Amerabian, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Amerabian, Aug 21, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

Amerabian macrumors regular

I was looking at the "show your mac setup" thread in the pictures section.

I think it'd be great to have desktop setup that would accomodate the MBP.

I'm getting a mini mac keboard and already have a magic mouse :)

All I need is a good (not too expensive) HD wide screen that would be good to play games and create personal graphic designs with adobe suite..

Oh, and I've just remembered this now.. I need your recommendations for good speakers that would help with a clean desk setup! ;)

Thanks

2. allmanbrother macrumors member

3. randomrazr macrumors 65816

24inch apple cinema display, there discontinued but apple still sell refurbs, unless u can afford the 27incnh one

pplus the harman kardon sound sticks III and ur set

4. Amerabian thread starter macrumors regular

The Cinema display is $1000+.... It's worth it but I don't want to spend that much money now as I'm saving for other things to buy.

I'm willing to spend $250-$500 for now on the display alone.

So for now, my setup will be:
    - MBP 13" 2011 Model :apple:
    - 8GB RAM Upgrade :apple:
    - Apple Wireless Keyboard :apple:
    - Magic Mouse (got it) :apple:
    - Arc Stand (need advice) :apple:
    - Speaker System (need advice) :apple:

5. randomrazr macrumors 65816

thats why i reocmended the 24inch??? its 599 i beleive

6. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, no it's not worth it ...

Sure the Dell 27" Ultrasharp costs the same, but that isn't worth it either.

You have to be either retarded or crazy rich to consider buying a monitor for $1,000.

I'm a photographer and I understand the importance of a good display, but I also understand the importance of a dollar. Fact of the matter is most displays are decent enough for any type of work.

That being said I'd still love an Eizo though.

----------

The Dell 24" Ultrasharp can be had brand new for $449. It's a better display than Apple's 24" Cinema.

7. randomrazr macrumors 65816

22inch samsung 1080p LEd tv, sold at best buy. i think its 279 on sale, and it hasa vga port to plug in the computer. its white to :D

8. getz76 macrumors 6502a

getz76

If you just need a 1080p screen, you have plenty to choose from.

Consider this LG, which has a nice IPS panel.

LG 23" LCD. The specifications are great and the reviews are good. Buy a MiniDisplay Port to DVI adapter from Monoprice.

If you care about your designs and the color, get a calibration tool like a Spyder.

Good luck.

Notice though, you are going to go from 113 DPI on the MacBook Pro 13.3" to a 95 DPI on a 23" 1080p monitor. Your fonts will look BIG. If you like the DPI on your MacBook Pro, you will need to look at a higher resolution monitor. That will cost you more money.

9. derickdub macrumors 6502

I have the Dell U2410 and I love it. I got it from eBay for $300 used, but the seller made a mistake and ended up having Dell send me a refurb.

With this monitor though you need to watch what version you have, since some of the older ones have a color tint problem. I have a REV 04 and no issues what so ever. Main reason I bought it was for the resolution, as I didn't like any other 1920x1200 monitors. But after using an IPS display for a while now, I can see how unreal colors look on TFT displays.

If you don't mind 1920x1080 or a TFT display, I would just save the money though. You can get decent 24" monitors for around $200.

10. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

If you want the look of a Cinema Display in a monitor that can be powered by the mini display port on your MBP you should check out the CinemaView 24. I own 2 of them and they were only $399. Most people who see mine think it was made by Apple. Check it out http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-24-display

It's the best value in my opinion

11. awvan macrumors member

I have a Dell u2311h at the office that I am very happy with. DisplayPort connection, good viewing angles, lots of adjustments and I paid $200 for it. I have lots of sunlight here and as nice as a new Cinema Display sounds, the glare would be insane. I have a 30" ACD at home and it's awesome but well out of your price range.

12. ljones macrumors regular

I'm not a fan of those 1080 displays. The height is just to low for the work that I do. I have the Samsun 1080 led at work.. its cool... just small. At home I have a 24" ViewSonic... it works, lol. I learned my lesson on cutting corners, but get what works for now. Upgrade later.

You want all the space you can get for those palettes though.

13. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

They seriously need to make more displays 1920x1200+... Don't get me wrong I LOVE 1080p but it seriously is not "the new way" with computers....fine for TV but I want my computer screen at a 16:10 ratio....A 1080p or 1200p display is like 100-300 dollars and then when you go higher than that the price spikes the crazy! What gives!

14. jgz macrumors regular

jgz