Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
I love minimalist and beautiful interfaces. I use a lot of keyboard shortcut and gestures to get functionality; I don't need a lot of GUI buttons, I can remember shortcuts.

So, my question for you all is this: What are some of your favourite , hidden gem, minimalist applications?

I really like Alfred, Focuswriter, Fantastical, etc.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Keep in mind that I do mean extreme minimalism :)

p.s. Tinylist on iOS is another good example of what I like.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 7.40.00 AM.png

Trust me, with all the shortcuts, scripts and gestures that I use, I have full functionality and it's very practical.

If anyone knows of how to get rid of the menubar text on the top left - that'd be great!
I tried a geek let image to cover it, but it moves over to other spaces and covers up the top of the GUI in full-screen apps

Last edited by a moderator:

colourfastt

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2009
View attachment 448101

Trust me, with all the shortcuts, scripts and gestures that I use, I have full functionality and it's very practical.

If anyone knows of how to get rid of the menubar text on the top left - that'd be great!
I tried a geek let image to cover it, but it moves over to other spaces and covers up the top of the GUI in full-screen apps

It looks like a DOS desktop from circa 1984. I guess this is the direction things are going .. back to the 80s and a command line only.

Manic Harmonic

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2011
I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you could try setting the menu bar to auto hide... There's an app that does that globally but I forget what it's called.

2Turbo

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2011
Try MenuAndDockless.

I've always thought there should be an OPTION to auto hide/expand the left side menubar items. Why do I need to see File, Edit, etc. all the time? How about I hover over that area to expand the menu, or a simple keyboard shortcut.

Or at least let us auto hide the menubar for crying out loud.

This IMHO makes OS X seem so ancient. It's time they integrate the dock and menubar into a system wide solution. Or leave the dock but make a new standard for each app to have a settings menu that is standard compliant with a system wide icon like the three bars (Chrome settings) or something.

tweaknmod

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Try MenuAndDockless.

I've always thought there should be an OPTION to auto hide/expand the left side menubar items. Why do I need to see File, Edit, etc. all the time? How about I hover over that area to expand the menu, or a simple keyboard shortcut.

Or at least let us auto hide the menubar for crying out loud.

This IMHO makes OS X seem so ancient. It's time they integrate the dock and menubar into a system wide solution. Or leave the dock but make a new standard for each app to have a settings menu that is standard compliant with a system wide icon like the three bars (Chrome settings) or something.

I cannot thank you enough. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that i've been looking for!!! :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I'm going to donate to the developer also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.