Wanted: Extreme Minimalism

Discussion in 'macOS' started by tweaknmod, Nov 19, 2013.

1. tweaknmod, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2013

tweaknmod macrumors regular

I love minimalist and beautiful interfaces. I use a lot of keyboard shortcut and gestures to get functionality; I don't need a lot of GUI buttons, I can remember shortcuts.

So, my question for you all is this: What are some of your favourite , hidden gem, minimalist applications?

I really like Alfred, Focuswriter, Fantastical, etc.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Keep in mind that I do mean extreme minimalism :)

p.s. Tinylist on iOS is another good example of what I like.

Screen Shot 2013-11-19 at 7.40.00 AM.png

Trust me, with all the shortcuts, scripts and gestures that I use, I have full functionality and it's very practical.

If anyone knows of how to get rid of the menubar text on the top left - that'd be great!
    I tried a geek let image to cover it, but it moves over to other spaces and covers up the top of the GUI in full-screen apps

2. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

It looks like a DOS desktop from circa 1984. I guess this is the direction things are going .. back to the 80s and a command line only.

3. tweaknmod thread starter macrumors regular

Touché! I suppose that's me trying to re-live the days of my old 286 :p

4. Manic Harmonic macrumors 6502

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, but you could try setting the menu bar to auto hide... There's an app that does that globally but I forget what it's called.

5. 2Turbo macrumors 6502

2Turbo

Try MenuAndDockless.

I've always thought there should be an OPTION to auto hide/expand the left side menubar items. Why do I need to see File, Edit, etc. all the time? How about I hover over that area to expand the menu, or a simple keyboard shortcut.

Or at least let us auto hide the menubar for crying out loud.

This IMHO makes OS X seem so ancient. It's time they integrate the dock and menubar into a system wide solution. Or leave the dock but make a new standard for each app to have a settings menu that is standard compliant with a system wide icon like the three bars (Chrome settings) or something.

6. tweaknmod thread starter macrumors regular

I cannot thank you enough. This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that i've been looking for!!! :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I'm going to donate to the developer also.