Wanted feature: Sleep periods for push email

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jaseone, Jul 29, 2008.

1. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

I used to have this on my old Treo 650 with the Chattermail application where the push was simply just IMAP-IDLE but it was so handy as I could stop it getting all email while I was sleeping and also turn off just my work email over the weekends, I wish Apple would implement such a feature as those dings during the night are rather annoying especially to my girlfriend.

Yes I know you could just toggle the setting each morning/night but that would be a huge hassle even more so as I'd have to set a reminder to do it each time.

It used to be one feature my Blackberry toting friends were jealous off, does anyone know if RIM has since added it? If not it would be another win for the iPhone!

2. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Amen to that. There's nothing worse than the little buzzes when you're about to drift off to sleep.

Would also like a 3G sleep function to turn it off when out and about then hop to it when making/receiving a call or using data-sucking apps.

3. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I leave my iPhone in another room during the night. Why sleep next to it? Unless someone is emailing you that your house is on fire, I'd just leave in off.

4. jaseone thread starter macrumors 65816

jaseone

My iPhone serves as my mobile alarm clock so whether I'm at home, my gf's or on the road staying in a hotel I always have my alarms set to wake me up and in regards to the latter part of your comment see my note about it being a pain to manually switch it on/off.

5. philgilder macrumors 68000

why not put in a feature request to apple? they dont read these boards...

6. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Well it sucks when you use it as your alarm clock ;)

I'd say just send Apple feedback, maybe we get lucky in one of the feature revisions.

7. kgood macrumors newbie

Anyone use MobileMe as there push email... because mine isnt pushing today at all but has been fine the past few days...

8. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

What if someone send you an important email during the night? Shouldn't you jump up and get it?

9. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I had a nice app for the Windows Mobile where you could edit / add schedules and check the days / start / end times and have it change everything from the ringtone to alert tones. I had it automatically go to vibrate mode during church, just a ding while at work and normal rings after hours. I really wish 3rd party apps had a little more control or Apple gave us some flexibility.

I tried to change the alert / SMS tone to something more attention getting because I would miss important alarm notifications at night, but Apple limits you to the set of tones available, you can't even select a custom ring tone for SMS notifications.

- James

10. kgood macrumors newbie

You can if you jailbreak but Im not doing that. I wish they would give you more. For my email and text notifications I never hear them unless Im somewhere where it is dead quiet, good thing it vibrates because I hear or feel that more than the alert. Ya I wish they had more and something longer that just a short little beep.

11. duncanm macrumors member

This, along with different power profiles (i.e., if charging, then set brightness(max, or desired level), wifi(on), bluetooth(on), location services(on). If running off battery, then set brightness(min), wifi(off), location services (off), bluetooth (off).

Obviously make it user customizable.

12. sibruk macrumors 6502a

It really annoys me too. Surely people in Apple do use their own products?!

Who wants a bleep or vibration waking them up at 3am?! Allow us to set a schedule, or make it not vibrate when the silent switch is on, or give us a setting, or SOMETHING!