Wanted: Font viewer application for NOT installed fonts

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by desertman, Feb 24, 2015.

1. desertman, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

desertman macrumors 6502a

Is there any recommendable application to view NOT installed fonts?

I remember having had such an application many years ago - probably still in OS 9. Is there anything like that that works with OS X 10.10?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Have you considered adding all fonts you want to see, but having them disabled until you decide to use them? Font Book would allow you to view all fonts, whether enabled or disabled.

3. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

That would not work for me very well. I have i. e. about 150 handwriting fonts in one folder and would like to be able to go through them (and only them) in order to then decide which one I want to use and to install. The same is the case for other types of fonts. A font viewer for not installed fonts would be much better.

----------

Really funny. I just found out that I can view these fonts with the ordinary preview function (space bar) that is built into OS X. An application that shows several not installed fonts at the same time in a list to compare them would be better but this is already quite ok.

4. robgendreau macrumors 68030

You could try FontExplorer Pro. Works great and has features to turn fonts on and off depending on what's needed by an application.

5. desertman, Feb 24, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2015

desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I do use FontExplorer Pro but as far as I know it cannot be used to view not installed fonts.

I could, of course, create a set "Handwriting Fonts" here and then install all my handwriting fonts in it. But it would mean that I have to install more than 150 fonts of which I will not use more than one or two, and these fonts will then be scattered all over the various alphabetic FontExplorer font folders.

I think for selecting fonts to be installed nothing could beat an application that can view not installed fonts, especially if the sample text can be defined by the user. Strange that such an application seems not to exist (anymore).