Wanted iMac but decided to go with Dell

Discussion in 'iMac' started by zombierunner, May 7, 2011.

1. zombierunner macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

I've wanted an imac for soooo long and till last week i was certain to get it .. i wanted to unify my computer, xbox and satellite tv into one screen which i could have done easily on imac but i just placed an order for dell xps 8300

because i already have a 27 inch lg hd display with hdmi ports ... the xps 8300 also has hdmi and ofcourse xbox and tv box as well .... it suits my needs and is cheaper than the imac

sure the apple display is better .. its got thunderbolt and so is the OS but i eventually decided that for a person like me who is not a video/audio professional ... spending £2000+ on an all in one is not required

so yea placed order for dell xps 8300 - core i7 2300 3.4GHz, 6gb ram, 1.5tb 7200rpm hdd, windows 7 home premium .. it has hdmi output in addition to regular stuff so i can just hook it up to my lg display 27 inch .. also ordered logitech mx performance mouse and k750 wireless solar powered keyboard (yes it charges in any light not just sunlight) - both wireless.

i'm happy with my decision but my admiration for apple and its products hasnt gone .... still loving my iphone 4 ... hopefully in the future 3-4 years from now i might get the imac .. who knows by then what the imac might be capable of.

2. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Is that the white one? I always thought the xps8100 was really cool.

3. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

yea it is the white one .. white on the sides .. black front .. should be good

4. farmermac macrumors 6502a

5. dh2005 macrumors 6502a

Cool. Enjoy your new machine, mate.

6. jborko macrumors member

I am also interested to know?

7. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

£850 without display but as i said i have a 27 inch lg hd display so i should be alrite .... says estimated delivery on or before 16th May :D

8. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

Base
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600 Processor (3.40GHz, 8MB)

Memory
    6144MB Dual Channel DDR3 1333MHz [2x2048 + 2x1024] Memory

Video Card
    Graphics : 1GB AMD Radeon HD 6670

Hard Drive
    1.5TB (7,200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive

Microsoft Operating System
    Genuine Windows® 7 SP1 Home Premium, 64bit, English

Optical Devices
    DVD +/- RW Drive (read/write CD & DVD) with Roxio and DVD Burn software

Sound Cards
    Sound : Integrated 7.1 with THX® TruStudio

Wireless Networking
    Dell Wireless 1501 Mini Card (802.11g/n) - ROW

Bluetooth
    Dell Wireless 365 Bluetooth Module - European

9. Kendo macrumors 68000

I tried configuring an 8300 but can't get an option for the 6670. Will only go up to the 5770?

10. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

I use to own MANY Dell XPS models ( its the only models i would buy from Dell )

About 2 yrs ago i have made the switch to mac and have not looked back. Dell makes good PCs ( well certain models at least ) and i never had any issues with any of my XPS desktops but really the switch was more for OSX.... and Windows was more of a headache at times then anything.

I was a bit worried about the switch ( i remember seeing macs years and years ago and just never liked them ) but once i got use to my macbook pro and OSX i sold off my XPS 730x and have not looked back.

OSX i think its much better then Windows ( IMO ) '

and the fact you can install Windows on a Mac ( if needed ) i think is awesome

I dont do any hardcore video editing or audio editing, but things just flow much easier, everything is pretty much built in and everything just works great together.

Of-course the cosmetic looks of Apple products is by far the best ( as opposed to PCs that are made of plastic or just look cheap )

I use to be one of those types that would add lights/fans/side windows, etc to my PC and when i turned on the damn thing sounded like a jet landing...

Enjoy your new XPS! There awesome machines!

11. JustMe74 macrumors newbie

Windows 7 is actually very, very good. The gap between Windows and OS X is pretty small. Apple will probably step it up with the new version. Windows is and always will be plagued by the fact that it runs on many different hardware platforms while Apple is blessed with a unified hardware platform. That is why there is a stability gap and probably always will be, although things are much better now than they were five years ago.

12. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

XPS 8100 Dell

I have this machine........use dual moniters with a great graphic card the nvida GeForce GTS240 with 1024 MB of ram. Love it.

13. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

are you in the US .. maybe that's why because dell does not list xps 9100 here in the uk but on the us website its there .. i guess they sell us different shiz lol

14. zombierunner thread starter macrumors 6502a

zombierunner

Yes the Mac OS X does look sexy but I just wasn't ready to pay a premium for it ... maybe sometime in the future i might finally make the switch to mac but as for now .. looking forward to gettin the xps8300 ... 16th may they say :confused:

15. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

Good choice, that Dell machine will probably last for a long time (my Dell desktop is going on five years, the last three of those running 24/7 :D) and give you better performance than the iMac at a lower cost. Plus you get to upgrade it if you want to later.

Maybe the next time you go to make a purchase the iMac will be closer to competing with other desktop computers in price and performance.

16. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

About the price I paid $1300 for my Dell XPS Studio 8100 without a monitor. You can buy a 21.5 in: 2.5GHZ iMac for $1199. Heck the del costs more if you get the faster processor and a few extras. People here might get on your case for even bring up the word PC on this APPLE the holy-grail forum. LOL

17. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Which would be fair, given that this is MacRumors and not PCRumors.

I, personally, would not recommend an iMac to someone who either doesn't want or need to use OSX or doesn't want or need or feels they can't appreciate Apple design goals.

18. jborko macrumors member

It's all about the Software... enhancing it and improving the ways it utilizes the HW... I personally am also moving to iMac because of this reason...

I have nothing against windows, but since I'm done with gaming long time ago, it's time for something stable and reliable, all-in-one, with excellent OSX...

19. archer75 macrumors 68000

I use both windows and soon OSX(though I have been using it on my hackintosh, new imac to be delivered any minute now). 2 HTPC's running win7, one cheapo laptop we keep in the kitchen on win7, one WHS box, and my main gaming system is Win7. Now adding the new imac.

All are good at doing what I want them to do. OSX wouldn't work for my server or HTPC's but will make a good general purpose desktop and video/photo editing platform(as well as a bit of high resolution gaming).

20. maxinc macrumors regular

That sound like a good deal if you already own a 27" screen but if you would have to add it, it would easily go over the iMac price. The 2560x1440 27" screens sell for about £700-900 and there is thunderbolt, webcam and other bits to add.

If I would buy a PC again, it will probably be an XPS but at the moment, they don't seem very competitive to me.

For what is worth, Windows 7 is the best thing Microsoft ever created since Windows 95 IMHO. Like the others have said, experience is so much better and it makes for incredible gaming machines.

Enjoy your new toy ;)

21. yustas macrumors regular

It is a great machine if you need a heater and enjoy the constant sound of a jet engine. I had the XPS 8100 and returned. It is very loud compared to iMac and produces so much heat that during the summer you better have an AC in the room.

22. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

And if you like tech support from India.

23. tbuddha macrumors newbie

I have had DELL products for years. My current XPS 410 is a little short of four years old. During that time, I have had it die four times. Dell was really good about honoring their on-site service contract. In the last two years, I have had endless hours on the phone with India. Also, I've had three in-home service calls resulting in two new motherboards, two power supplies, two new sets of memory, one heat sink/fan assembly and one new video card. So basically I am on my third new (old) computer, and right now it's running great.

But I think some might understand my trepidation. My extended warranty expires in August...soooooooo, I wanted to replace it before the inevitable September crash. Am I a pessimist or a realist? Don't know, but I AM typing this on my brand new iMac 27" i7. So far, I love it, in spite of the steep learning curve I'm just starting to climb.

Now, what is that pretzel key for again??????? :rolleyes:

24. Choctaw macrumors 6502

Choctaw

I have both the iMac & the Dell XPS 8100 and I can tell you there is lots of heat at the top of the iMac after it is on for a spell. Just put your hand up there and take a feel. It is very quiet, but I really don't notice the Dell sound at all having it setting on the floor.

25. TheUndertow macrumors 6502

Just got my wife an HP Mini210 and Windows Starter 7 has been awful. I'm not sure I want to pay MS more to upgrade it to a full version.

May need another gig to run well but so far it's far slower than Xp on an older Sammy netbook she had.

Been burned by Windows too many times to count.