Wanted inexpensive Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by quicksilver8907, May 13, 2007.

1. quicksilver8907 macrumors newbie

I am a lifetime pc user, but I finally have decided to break into the mac world. I want to learn how to use macs in general and Final Cut Pro before I go to film school in about 2 years. I want a simple mac that will run final cut pro with no problems. I am very low on funds. What do you guys suggest I get?

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

What is your budget? If you want an Intel Mac, I would suggest a refurbished iMac Core Duo or C2D.

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

g4/g5 those things are tanks and powerhouses.

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

well you're gonna spend almost as much on FCP as you will on a computer... if you are in high school, you don't need FCP yet. Your school will have it and you can learn it there. You most likely won't touch a camera or edit station your first year, so you will have time to learn it.

as far as a cheap mac... get a mac mini and maybe final cut express.

5. Trogloxene macrumors regular

Look on Ebay, buy from someone who has a high rating on a 100+ sales. Dual G4 or early G5 will work fine.

-T

6. quicksilver8907 thread starter macrumors newbie

If I get a g4, what should I get? I dont want to spend more than 200 dollars. Thanks

7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

8. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

A capable machine will cost at least a few hundred more than that.

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

sorry that is NOT going to happen at 200, 300, 400, maybe 500, quite possible 600 (of course it will be painful), at about 700 you get close, but I think 800 should do it if you get a good deal.

Soo.. make friends with somebody who has got a mac or pull some sort of get rich fast /(slash) internet donation thing.

http://www.teksale.com/computers/re...wermac-g4-400-256-20-DVD-refurbished-0921.htm

thats 200$ and no way in hell will that be pleasant, I'm pretty sure final cut will spit at you and laugh at the same time if it even launches.

10. jdiddy macrumors member

Check your local craigslist ads.

Check craigslist.org. If you live in a bigger city there are lots of deals to be found. I bought my CD BlackBook for $600 came with everything, in pristine condition and no it wasn't stolen. The guy gave me all the receipts with his name on them. I recently picked up a 1.66ghz Mini with all accessories and AppleCare for $400. You just have to learn to haggle. The price they are originally asking is usually a lot more then you can expect to pay.