Wanted: Introduction to iPhone for elderly person

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by desertman, Nov 24, 2013.

1. desertman macrumors 6502a

Can someone here recommend a magazine or (short) book that can be given to an 80 year old woman who just got an iPhone with iOS 7 as a present and who is not very good with computers?

I know that there is a "iPhone For Seniors For Dummies" book. However, with 448 pages it is much too long (and therefore too threatening) for this lady. I am more hoping for a magazin or booklet with less than 100 pages.

Thanks. desertman

2. kolax macrumors G3

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios7-basics/ - though it's more for people who knew iOS 6 than people who don't know iOS at all.

I imagine she'll be quite overwhelmed by it all. Is a fiddly device with a touch interface she's never encountered before the best gift though? If she's not any good with computers, I don't see why an iPhone is a good idea for an 80 year old - she'll probably get too frustrated by it and not use it.

Hope she does manage though!

3. ABC5S, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

ABC5S macrumors 68040

This to might help. Just click on a subject on the left pain, and read up on the iPhone and iOS 7. Read just a little at a time until this family member learns what she want to at her speed.

http://help.apple.com/iphone/7/

I live in a 55 plus apartment complex where most are in their 70's, and up to their 90's. Very few of them have smartphones, and they are constantly asking me for help. They only use their smartphones (Those that do) for viewing pictures, and phone call and have absolutely no interest in movies, YouTube, music, nor games. Once in a while a senior citizen will do a little texting, but most do not. A big, big waste of money on an expensive smartphone that will not be used to its full potential...Ever !

4. desertman, Nov 24, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips so far.

However, I am looking for a printed magazine or book.

5. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

There are a few guides to the iPhone in Sainsbury's, but these are written for the iPhone 5s. I haven't looked in them but they don't look too thick so you could check to see how easy they are to understand, and if easy, you could check Amazon for a version for the iPhone that is needed.

6. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is "Sainsbury's"?

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

The iPhone needs no introduction. If my 4 year old can figure it out on her own, so can a 80 year old.

8. chabig macrumors 68040

9. desertman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the tips so far.

However, I am looking for a recommendation for a printed magazine or book.

10. chabig macrumors 68040

I'd check Amazon.com then.

11. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

if my 86 year old grandma got it anyone could. Granted i had to put it into her native language but still... go granny. :D

12. SusanK macrumors 68000

Hi, I don't know of any off hand. I'll look around and post back if I find something.

Good luck to your friend with her new iPhone. Nice of you to help.

Regards,

susan

13. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Contact Apple they should have some sort of instruction manual available if requested

14. Mrbobb macrumors 601

I have a bad experience trying to teach a senior.

She is still curious, which is very good, but maybe overly so. She was complaining why outlook will pop up once in a while and ask her if she would want to archive. I just tell her every time it does that, go ahead and say yes, but somehow that bothers her a lot, she wants to disable that pop up all together, from my research there is no way to disable that pop up, but from then on, she's fixated on that pop up. It prevented her from moving forward and learn other things, solve problems. Am guessing some seniors, their world is SET as some say, and everything that they don't understand they can't just let it go and must be barred.

15. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

A supermarket.

16. kolax macrumors G3

A UK one. OP is from USA - Sainsbury's was a great suggestion.

17. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Here's a link to Apple's PDF manuals. The iPhone manual is 158 pages, but since it needs printed you can leave out chapters that aren't applicable (or bundle them separately as "advanced features").

New on iOS 7. Yikes. I would rather have someone with no experience start on iOS 6. But what a wonderful gift. I text my 80+ year old mom all the time and FaceTime with her every day or two.